Interlude {1}

Nk stood fidgeting with his fingers. His teeth clutched the flesh from his lower lip.

Khushi who was the second occupant after him stood confused like ever. She cannot comprehend anything out of his actions. First he barge into Arnav room where she and her arnavji was sharing some moments and then he dragged her to his room much to the displeasure of Arnav and even her. But then since they're here alone she'll make sure to have a talk with him. From his expression she can sense something amiss in his demeanor. If her friend needs her, then she'll be always there for him.

"Nanehji..."

Nk looked at her with unknown emotion. Khushi find it's strange to see him giving uncertain looks.

"Khushiji... I... want to marry.... Will you marry me?" There he said it, what was in his brain giving million volts shock to her.

Khushi stumbled back in shock. Her brain was not ready to buy what her ears heard. Her heart starts racing by his reckless decision. She cupped her mouth to stifle the growl which was ready to erupt out of her mouth.

"Khushiji... I..." Nk took a step forward to clear his stance. He face palmed himself for putting forth his proposal bluntly.

"Stop right there..." Khushi ordered curtly as her brain slowly begin to register the reality.

"Khushiji.. I am sorry. I know... I.. shouldn't.. have asked..."

"I thought you're sensible though you show yourself as a carefree man. But... you're also like others." Said she bitterly. Her brain was clouded with the proposal from her best friend she thinks to be, caught her off guard that she cannot think straight.

"You're taking me wrong. I mean... I am willing to marry you because I want best for you.." He blurted out not the way he intended to.

She furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Khushiji. I know you and I know about Shyam too" He stopped for a brief time as his words sunk in Khushi who darted her pupils.

"How.. what?"

"I... heard nannav saying this to dadiji. I was shocked. I couldn't believe someone like jija.. shyam would go to this extent to kill someone and that someone was his wife. I mean yaar always he presented himself as a gentleman. But in reality he's anything but gentleman! And the worst, he was behind you Khushiji. Someone sweet, innocent, courageous person like you don't deserve this. I... couldn't digest the fact that he was eyeing you. You're a treasure khushiji. And.. as a adventures freak, I want that treasure. I want to cherish it.. I want to hide you from that basta.. Shyam.. I"

As he keep explaining his stance Khushi blood boiled and she pitied herself for falling in this place. When his words started to scratch her principles she couldn't help but to intervene.

"What makes you think that I would agree with you? Do you think I am weak and a porcelain doll that has to be kept on showcase? Tell me. Am I a doll that everyone wants me in their possession?"

Her heart still couldn't believe the fact of her best friend put forth a marriage proposal. The mere idea of having befriending with males was now terrifying her. First Shyam and now Nk.

Nk was different from shyam, she knows. But then for the fact she would not step back from showing her displeasure on this mere idea and the betrayal from him. Out of all she didn't expected him to speak like this. How could he suggest this in the first place?

"Khushiji you're getting me wrong again. I know you're strong. Strong enough to argue and answer back nannav. Infact you're the only one who stood against him on all his wrong doings. All I want to say is that I.. like you.. And knowing nannav, I am sure once shyam matter is out, you'll not be same like before. I did not want that. He'll make sure of his di happiness but what about you? Your feelings also got played by Shyam. You also need justice from him like di does. Everyone will stood beside di and I want to stand for you"

"I appreciate your thoughts nanehji. But why are you suggesting marriage? It's not child play nor funny thing to do. You can stand by me even being my FRIEND. Are you among those who thinks a girl and a boy can never be friends?" She raised her voice first time against him.

"Khushiji. It's not.. I... I like to spend time with you. I like your company. I thought we'll make a good pair as we get along well in almost all matters. We're almost similar.."

"That sounds materialistic" Khushi sat on bed with a sigh. She clearly understood his state of mind. He was confused.

The word materialistic jolted his system. He felt as if he come out from one of his dream.

"Nanehji I don't know how you concluded this decision. For a marriage, Love should be the prominent cause, not any other thing. Your intention of protecting me shows your care towards me but please don't name it under which wasn't there. Liking one's company was different from loving someone. Just tell me nanehji what would you feel if I meet with accident?"

She explained and put forward the question remembering something.

"Obviously, I would admit you into hospital. What's in it?" Nk answered not getting her point.

Khushi smiled a little and begun to clear the confusion "Because you're my friend. Friends always look out for our wellbeing. But... If you love someone then your brain will stop working, the moment you got to know about smallest discomfort of your loved one's you would be devastated beyond your thinking capability that made you forget even simplest things. That's love nanehji. That was the base of marriage"

She said remembering the horrible morning she went through. The moment she got to know Arnav was missing, only she knows how she died thousand deaths. And even she knows how Arnav gone through the same when she went with Nk to get ghee during puja and how he shattered thinking she met with an accident.

"I am so sorry Khushiji... I don't know how stupidly I asked you a stupid question. I acted impulsive. I... Please don't stop your friendship with me. I'll not forgive myself if you do so. I'll always stand by your side as your FRIEND"

Khushi smiled and shared a friendly hug. She realised a sigh in relief. She got scared when Nk dragged her all the way.

P.S: Ok so this part serves for both stories. You can take this an alternative for my other story "ONLY HIS" There he didn't share his infatuation with her and ended up breaking everyone. Many suggested that, if he shared his feelings with anyone he would've chosen better path. So here this interlude gives better on those parts.

Prompts book had been updated with new shot&theme named :TICK... TICK... TICK...! Give it a read, hopefully you will like it.