I. The End

Once upon the wee hours of summer, silence lingered as two young adult women listened to a very bizarre story

Not a soul was asleep in the Trilby household as Fiona Trilby told her granddaughters the final story of the Everard family.

They delved deeper—quite literally—talking about the lives of people living in a place way below ground where everything else was not as how they were aboveground. She talked about actual events from The Town, a place where living meant living in frozen time. Time when balls were the rave, gowns a necessity, carriages a symbol of status and society even harsher.

Violet and Valerie listened intently as their grandmother talked about such things as though she was reliving a life forgotten. Their minds flew from their grandparents' living room and into the vast estates and cobbled streets of the Town, a peculiar place where the idea of sunshine was restricted to what the townspeople called holes.

But it was not the dire state of the Town—or the quite magical thought of it—that gave Violet and Valerie awe.

It was the amazing courage of the people in their grandmother's stories—the Everards.

They had heard of their many adventures of love, friendship and conspiracies. They hated the enemies, adored the lovers, and loved the friends.

And now, telling the story of the last of them all, Fiona Trilby was quite aware that her granddaughters would want for more by the end, because Emma Grace Everard's story was merely the beginning of the rest.