XIV. Picnic in the Rain

Being lovers was not the problem.

It was the secrets they both knew the other kept.

It was the fear.

It was the many things they discovered about each other, and the others they knew could never be revealed.

Two weeks ought to have been enough for Ellie to know Byron's secrets, but despite that, she still had more to find out.

As she watched him leave her estate for the third time since they met, she knew he would be back. What she was unaware of was where he came home to.

-Above and Below

*****

"How was your time alone in Wikchurst?" asked Ysabella when Emma came for tea one afternoon.

"It has been exciting," she replied, trying to sound dry and sarcastic.

"You ought to have come with us. The children have been asking for you." Ysabella settled beside her and leaned closer. "Has Sam dropped by for a visit?"

Emma shook her head. "Not while everyone was away, no."

"And since our return?"

"He has for a couple of afternoons," Emma supplied, carefully taking her teacup to her lips. Ysabella watched until she returned the cup on the table. Without her sister voicing her question, Emma sighed and admitted, "I believe he is becoming overly obsessed, Ysa. I fear not only for his safety but that of us around him. I have to be realistic and think that we can all be in danger should he ever become more aggressive in this fight."

Ysabella did not speak for a while, appearing to think about Emma's sentiments. "I have actually been thinking of the same thing, Em. I was merely keeping silent for I fear that it might change your decision to marry him because I would love that you and he be wed. But yes, I do fear that his family and even we, the Everards, might be affected because of what he is doing."

"Yet we cannot force him to stop."

Ysabella nodded. "No, we cannot." Her sister leaned away and sighed. "Who would have thought that the Samuel we once knew would turn into a man like this? Has it not merely been a few years when he did naught but live in Grey's with our brothers?"

"Yes."

"He has formed his own ideals and is now fighting for it."

Emma turned her head to look at her sister. "Do you believe that if it were not for what happened to Maxine, if it were not for that letter Samuel published, he would be what he is today?"

Ysabella shrugged. "That was brave of him. Truly admirable, really, and I think that it was the turning of the knob for him. The door has always been left open for him, Em. He merely took the courage to open it. I guess he has always been the same man merely hiding behind that same door."

She nodded in agreement.

Her sister narrowed her eyes at her. "There is more you are not telling."

Emma blinked and looked away.

"What keeps you from setting the date for the wedding, Emma? Please, tell me the real reason. I truly wish to know what you think and feel." Ysabella reached for her hand and squeezed it. "And know that I will support you."

Emma shook her head. "I hate myself for thinking it, Ysa, that is why I cannot tell you."

"Tell me, please."