XVII. Know Thy Enemy

Byron would call the entire incident a lucky strike.

Who would have thought that a simple plan to claim a passage would lead him to her?

She became the pawn of the same man the League was trying to destroy.

The challenge now was obvious.

How could one use the pawn against its own king?

-Above and Below

*****

The one thing we all ought to question about this horrible form of storytelling is the inconsistency. How could a man-a Leaguer-fancy being in love when the Town is filled with too many important matters to attend to? The mystery and thrill are merely distractions to what the story is truly all about: cheap love.

Surely there are far more sophisticated, well-thought stories out there, stories that do not stray too far away from the truth which is what Above and Below is all about.

It feeds our minds with fantasies. It makes women think that they can do naught but strip their clothes to win the game. What more should men think as well?

And should I say more, the ending is horrible.

Samuel knew that Emma did not like his article, but it had to be done.

"You dislike it," he commented.

"Of course, I do," she muttered, folding the paper in half, turning her attention to him. "But Sam, regardless of who wrote Above and Below, it is still a very good story." Before he could disagree, she added, "For me and many others."

Samuel shrugged. "But you know why I wrote the article."

Emma shook her head. "To provoke Wynne, of course."

"Precisely," he said with a contented smile. "Now I wonder how he would react."

Emma gave him a knowing smile. "Sam, Wynne would not even bat an eye."

"How could you say so?"

She shrugged. "He does not truly care what people think of his work. He is more about delivering his craft for his own satisfaction."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "It seems that you know him better than I do."

"He is your friend. You ought to know him well."

"For one, he is no longer a friend, Em. He is a bloody Trilby," he corrected strongly. "And second, the bastard is too secretive."

Emma sighed and stared at the clock behind Samuel. She began to stand. "I must go. Mother must be looking for me now."

He jumped to his feet and went for his coat. "I will escort you back to the manor."

"Very well," she said, staring at a book on his study table. "I gave you that book."

"Yes, and I am thoroughly enjoying it," he said with a big smile. "See? We still have more in common, Em. Above and Below is merely an exemption."

She laughed and shook her head. "You may be correct."

He hoped it was true as well, but he knew there were more things the two of them were discovering about each other. What he feared was that she may not like what she was slowly uncovering.