XXXVIII. An Everardly Plan

He was not even certain why he was looking for her.

Perhaps he needed answers.

Perhaps he merely wanted to know she was fine.

But she had disappeared.

Not even the people aboveground could lead Bryon to where she could be.

It was as though she had completely disappeared from the face of the earth—both below and aboveground.

*****

"Emma has not yet come down?" Lady Alice asked around the table two days later.

As she asked her question, they heard the grand doorway open from the hall and soon after, Wakefield barged into the dining room. "Is Ysabella here?" the man asked, his eyes hopeful as he scanned the room.

Nicholas stiffened as he turned to his wife, Sophia. "Ysabella was with you earlier, yes?"

Sophia nodded. "But I believe she left to find Alex and Emma. While everyone was having tea. But then, I am blind, so I cannot truly say I saw her walk to the tea room."

Margaret looked at their mother. "Was Alex not with you earlier, Mother?"

"My wife was in the playroom the entire time," Ralph said. "Was she not?"

"No, she was not," Victoria replied. "I was in the playroom most of the entire day."

"I cannot find Ysa," Wakefield announced what was already known to everyone.

Maxwell closed his eyes and sighed. His wife turned to him. "Did we not meet the three of them down the hall of the second landing?" He merely nodded.

"They did approach me," Cole said, clearing his throat. "Ysabella and Alex. I believe it was last night."

"Why?" Ralph asked.

"They asked about legal matters."

"What matters?"

"I cannot say. They presented themselves as my clients. I am obliged to keep their confidence."

"Bloody hell, Cole—" Ralph started, but Benedict cleared his throat and said in a very calm voice, "We might want to discuss the most important matter at the moment. Has anyone seen Ysabella, Emma and Alex during tea time?"

"I saw them in the garden, talking," said Agatha, Benedict's wife. "But I assumed they were merely gossiping."

"The three of them do not just gossip, darling," Benedict murmured under his breath.

"Bloody hell!" Ralph growled. "I will kill her! I swear to God, I will kill her!"

"Gentlemen," Lady Alice said, looking around the table. "Well, are you not going?"

"Bloody hell, Mother, we do not know where they are! We have to first know what their possible plans are and what they want to achieve. They approached Cole for God's sake, inquiring about legal matters! My bloody wife, inquiring about legal matters!" Ralph said. "Believe me, they are planning something drastic. We ought to know what. If Cole could tell us what—"

"Do not tell me you do not know what their goal is," Lady Alice sternly said. "Best you think while you gather your horses." When the brothers merely scowled, Lady Alice added, "This is your fault."

"What!" Levi, Nicholas and Ralph cried out in unison.

"Your sister told you the truth and what she wanted. You did not even consider thinking from her point-of-view. And now she has disappeared with Ysabella and Alex—and my grandchild!"