V. A New Head

The Lord of Glocheshire was not certain why the hole above the newly discovered passage was getting bigger. Strange sounds could be heard from above and he sent a request to his superiors to have the matter investigated himself.

Perhaps a few people aboveground discovered the hole. It was a potential disaster and it ought not to be taken lightly.

He prepared for travel the moment his request was approved.

He was going aboveground.

-Above and Below

*****

Three days later, Noah Trilby officially became the Head of the Town Leaders and Samuel Theobald things to say.

He dropped everything else he had to write about the still-existing slavery case the Town Leaders had been trying to cover up ever since the scandal exploded, exposing the dark and horrible deeds done to many colored women, men and children.

For a moment, Samuel chose to set it aside to make the townspeople aware of what he thought of the new Leader.

Why him? What had he done for the Town? Why not Lord Calahan who has greatly improved the irrigation system in the west? And why should we stand idle and not demand for our rights to choose? Do we truly believe that the leaders have in their hands and hearts the survival of our race and future? Or do they have in their minds their own status and power to protect?

We stand in our own prisons and the keys are in the hands of the people who can barely choose the right person to make the vital decisions.

Until when should we be tolerant?

Samuel read a piece of his article to Emma, his heart pumping as he did so.

He was not afraid. No, he could die any moment for what he wrote, but it would be for a worthy cause. At the very least, most of the Town's population had read his words. Many were starting to consider his words wherever they may be.

He was already thinking of the hundreds of writers he would be receiving soon. There would be some who would threaten his life, but they did not matter. He was getting used to them now. What was of great import was that most of them would be from avid readers, praising him for his courage to speak.

So long as there were people who believed in what he was doing, he knew that he could be the push for the beginning of the new Town.

He folded the copy of the Town Herald and expectantly smiled at Emma. What he greatly admired about her was her different view from that of the other women her age and station. She had always dreamed of a much less restraining Town where people could speak their minds and have more choices without societal judgment.

"You speak of democracy, Sam."

"Yes, of course!" he cried with a wide grin. "I believe this is the perfect time to introduce the subject to the townspeople, Em. It is frustrating to not be able to choose our own Leader!"

Emma's patient smile stopped Samuel. He knew she had more to say and for a short second he thought he did not want to hear it. It was great every time they agreed on things, but it could be frustrating whenever she insisted on her own point-of-view. She could be idealistic for most parts, which he could not judge considering she was a woman, but one he thought could be a waste of energy and time. No matter, he had to hear her for he respected her opinions as well.