XXIII. A Secret Game

"What are you doing here?" Byron asked, startling Ellie.

She whirled around to find him in the doorway of his study. "Oh, you are home."

"Yes, and you are in my study," he uttered, walking into the room, eyes bare of emotions.

"I was looking for a book to kill time," she nonchalantly replied, making certain her eyes focused on him and not on the table where she hid the letter. "And then I realized how very small your collection is."

"That is because the books are in the library," he said, taking her hand and gently guiding her out. "There are naught but boring books on agriculture in this room."

"Yes, as I have figured."

"Come, we have somewhere to be."

"Where?"

"The woods."

"I am not particularly fond of woods, Byron."

"Oh, but this one has holes above it."

*****

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," Samuel greeted the group before him. "Welcome to the Secret Theobald Game of this year."

Emma looked around her and found ecstatic faces, all eager and proud to have been chosen.

"Now that you know this game is not merely a rumor, shall I present the game?"

There were about twenty or so people crowded inside the closed parlor room and each one nodded their heads in excitement.

"Last year, the chosen ones played the game for two straight days, doing secret tasks to gain entrance into secret rooms. The winners took home these specially-made golden brooches," Samuel started, opening a large velvet box with two round brooches made in gold. "Ever since my brother started these secret games, he has acquired the kind services of none other than Maxwell Everard to design and create these. They are rare, of course, but ones you see someone wearing one, you and that person share a secret."

Emma could not believe that her own brother knew about this and had kept it a secret. But then, what did she expect from Maxwell?

"This year, we are doing a treasure hunt game."

Everyone started to chatter to each other.

A treasure hunt was not uncommon at all. One could even say it was too common. But this was a secret game and everyone was in on it. Whatever game it may be, the thought that they were chosen to be a part of this was enough.

"The pairs for tonight's game were already randomly selected by me a day prior," Samuel said, eyeing everyone in the room with a smile. "My brother designed the game and facilitated everything else necessary for all of us to play without his presence. Yes, ladies and gentlemen- I, too, received an invite for this game." He waved a piece of paper at everyone.

As the crowd chuckled, Emma knew who she would end up being paired with. She confirmed it when Samuel nonchalantly announced all pairs one by one from a list. What she did not expect was his choice of partner for himself.

Even the other players could not suppress their surprise and awe when Stella's name was announced as Samuel's partner for the game. Everyone knew it would not be a smooth night for them both.