XXII. The Game Begins at Theobald

"Put this in his study."

Ellie took the sealed paper handed to her and frowned. "What is this?"

The old man smiled. "Let us say it is your passage back to your world." He tilted his head to the side, giving her a cryptic look. "You do want to go back, yes?"

"O-of course," she replied.

"Then do make certain that letter finds its way into Lord Glocheshire's study."

*****

Ysabella and her husband, Wakefield, were returning from their walk when they saw the entry of two more carriages. Samuel was with them as Emma and Lady Alice had not yet arrived from Wickhurst.

Since that morning, the Theobald estate had lost its peace and quiet as guests started arriving for the famous weekend party.

"Is that Stella Marie?" Ysabella asked.

Wakefield and Samuel stopped in their path and turned toward the grand entrance of the mansion.

There was no mistaking that the golden-haired woman clad in a striking green gown was the actress herself. Along with her were a footman and a maid.

"I wonder who invited her?"

Samuel kept the smile from his lips as he shrugged. "Surely my mother."

Ysabella laughed, tauntingly adding, "Oh, this party is filling up with your enemies, Samuel."

"She is no enemy."

"Oh, but I am certain she treats you as hers after all the articles."

"I will agree," Wakefield said, taking his wife's hand in his to continue their walk. "With the wife, of course."

Samuel did not comment and followed the couple from behind. He took one last look of the actress and smiled.

Ah, this was going to be a wonderful party.

*****

Wynne looked around the ballroom, not even bothered that he had to act as Wynne Hastings. Everyone had already created their own little worlds with their friends. The men were crowded in many places, talking about politics and controversies they pretended to have knowledge of. The women were whispering in each other's ears or behind their fancy fans, eyes darting from one corner of the room to the next wherever their current subject may be.

Others danced, flirting with their eyes and light touches.

There were others like the Everards as well who were as united as always, standing in one large crowd with the Theobalds, the host of this yearly weekend ball. Soon, each member would disperse. Some of the men would disappear into the gaming rooms, the ladies to wherever the best players of the pianoforte would be.

Other guests would be on a tryst with their lovers—mainly in the gardens or the plantation close by.

Marcus Durley was also in attendance. As a rising star amongst the gentry, he was becoming a constant presence in large parties such as this one. His eyes met Wynne's for a second before he looked away to join a group of lords. One could never know with Durley, Wynne had always thought. The man was too shady and too cunning, even for the Trilbys.

Stella was also there and he was not even surprised. He suggested she come for they were both uncomfortable that she stayed in Ulric or Wickhurst alone for Sandre to bother.