XX. Act II

Byron faced the highest in the rank of the League of Founders and they had none but one question: How is she of any use?

He smiled before replying.

"She does not know it yet, but she will lead us to the person she serves."

"And how do you suppose she will do that?"

His smile merely widened. "A woman in love will do naïve things."

-Above and Below

*****

Emma came because she was curious.

The theatre was even more crowded tonight as it had merely been two days since the news that Jordan Smith walked out of the theatre, leaving his role vacant.

She knew that majority of the guests tonight were merely present out of curiosity.

Who would be the new actor?

She settled in her seat with Alex beside her. The woman decided to come along to escape Ralph's overprotective tendencies because of her delicate state.

"He ought to be protective. You are almost showing, Alex. And you still drink," Emma whispered to her sister-in-law.

"Nae, I don't. I only make 'im think I do."

She frowned. "But you do drink."

"Nae, I don't."

"Truly?"

"Aye."

"Then why do you make us think you are? What for?"

"Oh, te spice things up between with yer brother. He is rather adorable when irked." Alex retorted with a chuckle. "Ye'll understand when yer married."

Shaking her head, Emma searched the audience for a sign of Wynne. He was not around and it was understandable. He must have his hands full. He had something to prove to the people tonight. The play would still be a success despite Jordan Smith's absence.

The lights dimmed and the remaining guests who were still standing clamored to their seats. Emma went quiet in anticipation.

The first act was the same as the countless ones she saw, but a few things had changed that made it interesting to watch again, as though it was her first time.

Finally, when the act for Byron Glocheshire started, Emma swore she also felt the crowd's bated breath as they waited to see if it was worth coming tonight.

She could not see who the new actor was for like Jordan and many other actors, his face was painted.

But she did not have to see the face for his very movement gave him away. And when he started to sing, Emma knew she need not hear him speak for she recognized the voice.

All of a sudden, she felt a terrible discomfort.

Why?

She ought to have known by now that Wynne could act and sing. She had seen him demonstrate acts to Jordan in the many times she observed their practice sessions.

But it was different.

Now, there were hundreds of eyes looking at him, judging his performance. Now, he was the center of attention.

She mentally poked herself for actually fretting over how people would find Wynne's acting.

But it was apparent she need not be bothered at all for she could hear the sigh of approval and satisfaction around her. And as she did, she bit her lips to fight a smile.