VII. Secret Magic

Ellie's manager whispered something to her and she immediately went to the newly furnished study. Since her manager said that a powerful man was waiting for her, she was expecting a good offer for film.

But that thought was soon flying out the windows when she saw the old man sitting behind the desk—her desk.

"Good evening, Miss McPhee. Please, sit down."

She was about ready to throw this horrid, obnoxious human out of her home when he added, "I have matters of import to discuss with you, my dear. Please. Sit."

Ellie, of course, did not comply. She simply stood there.

The old man sighed. "Someone not welcome is in your home at the moment, Miss McPhee."

"If you provide me your name, I'm sure I will know who he is," she said with a mocking smile.

The man merely smiled. "You are funny. But let us get to the point." The old man stood and looked straight into Ellie's eyes. "The man came into your home, Miss McPhee, because he wants to take everything away from you."

-Above and Below

*****

"What are you doing here, Eddie?" Wynne asked through clenched teeth, eyes darting around as he pulled the boy deeper into the darkness allowed by the bleachers above them. "Shouldn't you be in school?"

"You know the last I saw Adam's was three years ago, Peter—"

"And you know I do not like that name."

"Wynne," his cousin said, looking into his eyes. It was then that Wynne realized Edmund was no longer the orphaned young boy he remembered. Of course, it had been seven years since Osmund Trilby was murdered, leaving Edmund with naught but his riches and a whole bloody family of crazy. "What are you planning with Aunt Amelia?"

Wynne looked over his shoulder. "Let us not discuss this tonight, Eddie."

"Wynne, please, leave them alone. Fiona is living a life she deserves. She has security and family. Please do not create a doorway to ruin that. If uncle—"

"Go back to Willowfair, Eddie. You know what will happen if you keep showing up like an irresponsible child. "

"What are you planning?"

"You are not aware of any planning because it is planned that you remain clueless. Do you understand, Eddie?"

"Wynne—"

"Bloody hell, Edmund, do you not trust me?" Wynne hissed.

Edmund's face tightened and his dark eyes met Wynne's. "I once did, but now I am no longer certain I ought to. Good thing I did not bring Fiona to you. It was the first thought that came to mind and it would have been the worst considering what you are doing now!"

Emma and her sister were talking, oblivious. Wynne looked back at Edmund and said, "Good. Do not trust anyone."

"But Fiona—"

Wynne grabbed his cousin's arm none too gently. "Listen, Edmund," he leaned closer, "if there is still a little trust for me left in you, you will stay away from me. And you will keep quiet. Not one word to anyone. Do you hear me? Do you understand?"