IX. The Theatre

If Ellie were to seduce someone, she would rather do it on someone like him.

He would be easy.

She would have fun while doing so.

He could never take away what she had for he would lose himself in her and he would not even recognize it until it was too late.

As she approached him, she smiled.

She could read the lust in his eyes.

He would be easy.

-Above and Below

*****

"How are you handling her, Wynne, dear?" asked Amelia Trilby. She brushed her fingers over his desk as she passed, pacing slowly around his study.

"I am taking it slow," Wynne replied nonchalantly. "Samuel is making it quite easy for me, as a matter of fact. He is too involved in his current propaganda that he barely has time for the woman."

His aunt sharply whirled around and dramatically rolled her eyes. "I am very close to giving him a taste of excruciating pain."

"It would be a foul move. Uncle Noah's reputation will suffer."

"Which is why you must find the Leaguer, my dear, and infiltrate," the woman said, walking toward the window. "And while you are at it, threaten Samuel Theobald. Take his woman so he can get his mind off your uncle."

Wynne nodded. "Whatever you wish."

"Could she be the Leaguer amongst the Everards?"

"No, I believe she is not."

"It could be Benedict, the Lord of Devonshire."

"I will have to learn more. It is not easy to get into their circle as Wynne Hastings. I already have a reputation to be awkward and boring. I cannot simply change and be likable."

"If it is the eldest brother, it would be easy to manipulate him. He does have a wife and a little girl, yes?"

"Yes."

"But it could also be the others. The husband of your cousin, Maxine, seems to fit the profile as well."

"You mean the woman you tried to kill."

"It was Osegod, dear. I would dare not hurt my own blood."

Wynne smiled in amusement. "Truly?"

"Of course! It is sad, really, that she chose the Theobalds and the Everards over us, but she chose her own way and I have chosen to forget about her."

"I heard your pride was hurt, dear Aunt, when you asked her to join us."

Amelia Trilby simply stared at him and Wynne chuckled.

"Nothing good comes out when a Trilby's pride is trampled on."

Amelia sighed. "We do not deserve it, but we must bear it."

"And what of the child?"

"Who?"

"The child who is in the care of Margaret Devitt."

His aunt's face darkened. "Oh, that child." Wynne saw the raw hatred flash before his aunt's face before it disappeared. "She is not one of us."