XXX. On Foes and Brothers

"What have you done!" It was the first statement Ellie demanded from the old man the very moment she stepped foot aboveground.

She had been dragged from Glocheshire and back to the world she had always loved.

"Do not tell me you did not know, Ellie, dear. You played a part in this game willingly."

"I was not informed it would end this badly."

"It was always meant to end bad, my dear."

-Above and Below

*****

Emma was surprised by her own attack and she immediately jumped back, placing a good distance between her and Wynne.

Yet she ought to be excused for her fury was as strong as it was before she stormed into the room.

Her eyes landed on Wynne's bandaged hand before it traveled back to his dark, expressionless eyes.

He was doing it again. He was making it certain she found it hard to read him.

"I fell down my horse," he said, lifting his injured hand in explanation.

"Stop lying. I know what you did," she coldly said.

Wynne gave her a small smile. "And what did I do, Emma?"

"Samuel."

He nodded in understanding. He leaned back against his chair. "Ah."

"He almost died!"

He shrugged. "Then I did not manage to kill him."

"No more pretenses, Wynne." Her statement was enough to let him know that he knew. And to let him know that she was aware he knew about it.

His dark eyes locked with hers. "Did he say I tried to kill him?"

"He did not have to. You shot him!"

"And what if Samuel lied?"

Emma shook her head. "He never would."

Wynne nodded slowly. "Of course, he never would. What you may not know about Samuel, Emma, is that he may have many words to say or write on matters he believe are of import, but he is also quite efficient in keeping some unnecessary details wordless, by which he can never be judged a liar." He let the tense silence linger for a while. "Had he ever told you what truly happened the night you ended up in bed together?"

Emma stiffened. "That is none of your concern. Sam will never lie to me, nor would he lead us believe something else entirely."

It was clear on the way he let out a slow chuckle that he did not believe her. "What if I say I saved him instead?"

"If you did, he would have claimed it to be true."

"Ah, perhaps he lost consciousness too early." Wynne sighed, tearing his eyes from her. He was ready to make her leave.

"Your family will pay for what you did," Emma could not help but say. "I have honestly hoped you are not like them, but you just proved me wrong."

He snapped his head toward her, revealing that he was surprised by her proclamation.

"You are after all a Trilby."

Whatever he was thinking or feeling, he masked it with a bitter grin. "Would it not be marvelous if I were not? My family did too many horrible things, yes? Who would want to associate themselves with us after that?"