viii. made me a better man

TRACK 09
MADE ME A BETTER MAN
i was the
first to fall

THIS WASN'T THE FIRST TIME PETER WAS LATE FOR SOMETHING. Your fingertips impatiently drummed miscellaneous rhythms on the table, a half-empty coffee cup sat in front of you. Another ring from the bell above the door brought your attention to an unknown person, crushing your hopes little by little. Letting out a sigh, you checked your phone again, hoping to see a text from Peter but expression falling when you saw nothing but your illuminated lock screen.

"Bored our of your mind too?" An unfamiliar voice asked from beside you. Ripping your gaze from the front of the store to the table beside you, a pair of bright green eyes met with yours. Nodding, you took a sip of your lukewarm coffee, trying to escape the grasping hands of awkwardness. The guy held out his hand for you to shake. "I'm Harry. May I ask what a beautiful gal like you is doing sitting here all alone on a wonderful Friday?"

You almost choked on your drink when you heard how confident his words sounded. In fact, all his sentences came out of his mouth like honey. Grabbing a napkin, you dried the coffee that was dripping down the side of your chin. You felt like you had never been more embarrassed in your life.

"Oh, you know. Just waiting for my ex-boyfriend to show up," you pushed your hair behind your ear, letting a little laugh out. Raising your eyebrows just about asked him what he was doing here. Before he. Hold speak, you apologetically interrupted. "I am so sorry, I totally forgot to introduce myself. I'm y/n."

He laughed, it being a simple blessing to your ears. "I'm just figuring out classes to take for my first year at my new school, Midtown." Your eyes lit up, knowing that you could be a helping hand to the fairly attractive boy sitting next to you.

"If you want, I can help you? I've been going there since freshman year." You suggested, moving closer to him and looking over the few classes he had picked out. Taking out your phone, you handed it to him, trying to be as smooth as possible. "You should call me sometime, we could go over all the required stuff, y'know?" A small smirk fell on his lips, swapping your phones.

The bell above the door rang again, but the sound and whoever was under it was the least of your problems. Once you got your phones back with a new contact in them, Harry bid his goodbyes, but not before pressing a small kiss to the back of your hand. Your eyes followed him until he left through the glass doors.

Peter cleared his throat, standing slightly uncomfortably on the other side of the table. You snapped out of your trance, wondering how long he had been standing there for. Quickly apologizing, Peter flashed you a smile and sat down.

Twiddling your thumbs, you stared down at the granite table with a blank stare. He noticed your awkward state and lightly brought his foot up to your ankle, giving it a little nudge. You looked up, seeing his little smile on his lips. "so, what'd you want to talk about?"

Peter's smile faded, remembering why he wanted to meet you. "Right, um, I just wanted to know if we were okay. And to apologize,"

Your heart sunk. For the past few months, you had been trying to stray away from the thought of Peter completely abandoning you with no reason. However, you thought it would helps lift the pressure off your shoulders talking about it with him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have just let you be alone like that. There was a ton on my plate with the Stark internship and everything else. I should have told you." He mumbled, running his thumb across the top of your knuckles. Your heart melted at the simple touch, knowing that it was only him that could comfort you in the simplest ways. You wanted to make things work, of course, but you decided to see where time took your friendship first.

"It's okay, Peter, really. But you should have just told me, I would have completely understood," you sighed, taking another sip of your drink.

Peter nodded, taking another look at you. A smile pulled his lips back, seeing your small smile on your face. You brought out the best in him, and he was entirely grateful for that. He was amazed how you were lenient and failed to hold a grudge for too long. He was thankful that he had you as a friend again. You made him a better man.

☁︎

author's note

this book is so bad I'm screaming ssksksk thank you to those who are actually reading this and genuinely liking it, I'm deceased @ this book lmao. I love you guys so much awh 💘