xi. lie to me

TRACK 12
LIE TO ME
i ain't too
happy

Y/N WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND AT THE LUNCH TABLE, PETER QUICKLY TAKING NOTICE OF HER DISSAPEARANCE. Last night, he was up until midnight ranting to Ned on how he should have simply explained himself and the kiss rather than simply running away. He was entirely confused surrounding the entire situation and he had no idea how to deal with it.

He stuck his plastic fork in his absolutely delectable school cafeteria food and sighed, running his hands through his untamed hair. Ned comfortingly patted his back, stealing an untouched french fry from his best friend's tray. "You have to talk to her soon if you want to ask her to hoco, you know that, right?" Ned asked.

Peter nodded, bringing his head up from his hands. In his head, he was trying to come up with ways to apologize to y/n and how to ask her to homecoming all in one. In fact, Ned, Michelle, and Liz were all quickly trying to come up with ideas but so far, they were all at blocked roads.

"You guys missed it, y/n just got asked by that new kid Harry Osborn or whatever, to homecoming out in the hallway," Flash explained, walking past the lunch table of friends. Peter's ears perked up as soon as he heard her name combined with homecoming. Ever since Peter started becoming pretty obvious with his feelings towards y/n, Flash always taunted him with anything and everything he heard about her.

As if on que, y/n walked into the lunchroom with a bundle of flowers tucked in her hands, Harry's arm hung around her shoulders. Peter bit the inside of his cheek again, feeling the jealousy creep up his spine. The reminiscent of last week's party was lingering, just itching to get on Peter's nerves again.

His eyes watched as y/n parted with Harry, her pressing a small kiss on his cheek before happily skipping over to their table. Peter immediately put a smile on his face, not wanting to get in the middle of y/n's happy mood. He waited for a few silent moments before he asked her the question that was waiting to be asked.

"So you're going to homecoming with Harry?" He questioned, tapping his fingers along the lunch table. She furrowed her eyebrows at the question, a polite smile tugging at her lips as she shook her head. Peter slightly jerked back with confusion. "But I thought, I-"

"It's an inside joke we made a few weeks ago. Yeah, we're going together, but just as friends," y/n explained, the sentence spilling out of her mouth like honey and happily moving into Peter's ears. He couldn't have been more happy about hearing about two people being friends. She leaned in towards Peter, not wanting Liz to her the secret she was about to reveal. "Plus, he likes Liz a little bit."

"Oh, cool," Peter said, trying to keep his smile on the low. Although, y/n could easily tell that his emotions were getting the best of him. He quickly took notice and started to explain himself. "Sorry for running off yesterday. It's just like I have no idea what washed over me that night. I-I mean I, you know, care about you?"

"So you kiss people you care about?" Y/n adjusted the flowers in her hands, rearranging them to her liking. A small smile creeped on her face, looking up at Peter's speechless expression. "I'm just joking. So, uh, are you planning on asking anyone to homecoming?"

Peter shook his head. He hadn't thought about going to homecoming with anyone besides his friends, so a date hadn't crossed his mind.

Over the last few weeks of summer, Harry and y/n had made a pact that if neither of them had been asked or ask someone to homecoming, they would go with each other. Considering that he was the new kid and she had recently gotten out of a breakup, the pact successfully pulled through.

The bell that ended the lunch hour blared through the speakers on every wall, the teenagers all standing up to commence in another two hours of boring and uninteresting classes. Y/n groaned, starting to head towards her locker so her flowers wouldn't get wrecked from all the hallway traffic.

"I'll see you later, Pete," y/n called back to him, sending a little smile his way. Peter waved, quickly putting his hand down when he noticed the few people who had confused, worried, and disappointed looks on their faces.

His heart fluttered whenever she used the little nickname she had came up with, only using it with sincere words. Peter immediately took his phone out of his pocket as soon as she was out of sight.

Peter
Look, I really want to apologize for running away BOTH times I tried to talk to you. Wanna catch up over froyo?

y/n
I'd love that. I'll meet you in the hallway at, say, 7?

Peter
Yes! Sounds good