Mutual Understanding

TJ's POV

Harry sighed as I hung up the phone, just as we entered Coach's office. I'm sure he was aware that the fact that I called Louis for an update the second we got in the car was a poorly designed attempt at avoiding being alone with him, but it wasn't like he could ask me not to check up on my brother.

I was well aware of how ridiculous I was being, my attempts to prolong our conversation as long as possible reached an all-time high when I practically forced Chelsea to have a sleepover that night before I left the diner just to make sure I could limit his opportunity to force me to talk to him. It was pathetic and immature, but it was working for me.

"Hey Coach." Harry nodded as we entered, Coach's head shooting up to look at us.

He already looked stressed. He did not appear to be a man who had just had a nice week-long break with his family, he looked more like he hadn't slept in a while and his brain was working overtime. I felt bad at the sight of it, Coach had always been so good to me and I felt like so much shit was always being thrown at him when he didn't deserve it.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming." He sighed, shooting us both a sympathetic look. "I know you're still on break, but I appreciate it."

"Well last time I checked you were still on break too." I said, a light laugh escaping me as I made an effort to lighten the mood while Harry and I each took a seat as we sat down.

"No rest for the wicked, I guess." He said, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Anyways I'll try to make this quick, I'm sure you guys have better things to do than sit here and chat to an old man."

"We've always got time for you, Coach. What's up?" Harry asked, sensing the fact that he looked so stressed had something to do with the reason he'd called us down.

"A couple of things." He said as he took his glasses off and rubbed his face with his hands, Harry and I exchanging a glance as we waited for him to continue. "Firstly, I got the call about Tommo last night. I'd just like to let you both know how sorry I am for what you went through and let you know that if you need any support, or if there's anything I can do for you, please let me know."

I nodded before dropping my head to look at my hands while they rested in my lap, knowing that this meeting was more than likely going to be about my brother's position on the team and what it meant for his future and everyone else.

"We appreciate that." Harry said, answering for both of us. "We're just glad he's gonna pull through."

"Yes, that's the most important thing." Coach nodded. "Now I don't want to come off insensitive, I realize that this is a difficult time for all of us, but I do have a job to do."

"We understand." I reassured him. "As much as we hate to think we have to have this discussion, we all know that the reality is that he won't be putting on skates any time soon."

"No, Darlin. He definitely won't." Coach sighed, looking over at me like he wished he could just get up and give me a hug.

Harry reached over and put his hand over mine, giving it a gentle squeeze as he looked over at me, before we both focused our attention back on Coach.

"Anyways, what did you wanna talk to us about? We obviously have to shift some of us around." I said, doing my best to focus on what was best for the team.

"Well first and foremost, I'd like to be the one to break it to the team. I know you two understand the importance of us staying a unit, and I'd rather we have the conversation together so that we can offer support rather than everyone hearing it through the grapevine."