2. My True Laughter

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

I can barely draw in breath as my lungs feel emptied, my sides beginning to ache with the way you tickle me. The sound of my own laughter feels so unheard, my mind still unable to comprehend that this is the way I actually laugh.

But I laugh all the time, no?

Laughing was the only way I knew to deal with every situation. Happy, sad, excited, frustrated, lonely, upset... it just seemed like a mechanism that worked best. Sure, they always say laughing at an inappropriate time gets you into trouble, but laughing at your own self didn't require a right time now, did it?

I remember the first time we were having coffee together and I spilt mine. I laughed so hard, you were startled, wondering what about it was so funny even though you laughed alongside, perhaps seeing the foam grow wider upon my lips.

You had then gently brushed your thumb over my lips and I quietened, your gaze electric. My lips kissed your thumb in spite of myself, my mind long lost in the tunnels of your eyelock.

Until I sensed a sting, my sight quickly jumping from your eyes to the source of the intrusion. They fell upon my hands, now gingerly held within yours, your attention drawn to my silent gasp of pain as well. You noticed that the back of my palm was now an irritated red, the hot coffee having lightly burnt it.

You looked at me again, deep and questioning, although this time I didn't want to meet eyes with you. I didn't want to know what you thought of the fact that I laughed because I didn't know how to handle the pain.

I fidgetted with my fingers slightly, almost hoping you'd let go of my hand until you did, the sudden cool making me look up in spite of myself.

"It's okay," you tell me gently, your eyes so genuine I was taken off guard. As though you were banking on my response, your fingers trail upon my cheek before leaving behind a lingering kiss, your scent just as distracting as your stubble that tickled me.

And that was the first time I truly heard myself laugh - a soft childish giggle rather than the high pitched bark I was used to hearing. I could sense you smiling against my cheek before you broke away, taking my hands into your own.

"Now that's the laughter I was looking for."

I blush furiously, knowing not whether to smile or hide my face, and yet my smile was drawn wide across, the child within me roaring in approval for the first time since I could last remember.

It had finally found the person in front of whom it really wanted to laugh.

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖