10. Candy Hearts

(Previously)

If only I knew that this was going to be amongst the best decisions I'd made in my life up until then.

***

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

Dinner was a subdued affair.

For some reason, I was as nervous and fidgety as you appeared to be and I could barely get through the three course meal without feeling that the tension between us was going to make me throw up in anxiety.

By the time desserts were on the table, I realised that we had barely exchanged anything between us except an awkward hug and several more awkward glances once in every five minutes. Kind of reminded me about starting at my crush in high school.

Apparently by then even you had realized that the tension was flying off the charts, and you finally set the spoon down, looking me full in the eye. My breath ceased.

"We need to talk."

Never had four words been as intimidating as the way they'd sounded from upon your lips. Those four words were the detour to the route of a "break up" and the thought of this being our last dinner together before you said that our friendship couldn't work alone made my eyes prickle with tears.

And yet I smiled.

"I think we do."

"Babe, I want to know what's going on with you! This month has been insane without talking to you at all, and God I've missed you so much!"

"I've missed you so much too!" I cry in response, the strain suddenly too much. You look at me worriedly as you pull your chair up close to mine. You pull my chin up and I look at you square and fair, suddenly overcome by the urge of doing nothing more than to kiss you and make this whole nightmare of the last three months go away.

"I've been the dumbest person alive," I continued when I saw the expectancy in your eyes for me to go ahead and say whatever was weiging me down, and that I did. "I thought that creating this distance between us was perhaps the best way to go about things before either of us got too dependent upon each other but I was wrong. I was so wrong!" I whisper by the end, head in my hands.

And just like that, your expressions changed. There was some kind of dawn that broke through the expressions of your face in that moment and it made my breath hold in spite of myself. I was almost afraid that I'd spoken more than I should have, that in my fear I'd given the cat out. But I couldn't fathom your expression.

"Let's go somewhere else."

That's the only thing you told me before you paid off the bill and took my hand in your own, gently guiding me through the doors and away from our untouched desserts. We waiting by the parking lot for the valet to bring back your car, the silence between us not unlike one in a suspense movie. I did not dare ask him what he had in mind or where did he want to "continue this conversation". Knowing that staunch silence, he wasn't going to say another word.

The only time he did next was once we were seated in his car and were on the way to the destination he had in mind.

"Here's your favourite candy hearts. I was going to give them to you later tonight but since I made you skip desserts, this should hopefully substitute for it."

And all I did was smile, again.

(To be continued...)

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖