11. It's Always Been You

(Previously)

And all I did was smile, again.

***

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

Time trickled by painfully yet quickly.

The city was bathed in evening lights as our car passed through the hussle of a working Wednesday, soon flying over the road connected the two halves of London over the Thames.

Once I was certain that I wasn't going to hear anything more from you apart until we reached the destination, I turned my attention to the view outside the window, your silence and my thoughts consuming me with just enough space left for music.

At some points, I actually had half a mind to flee away from the car. At some others, I wanted you to just pull up and tell me what was going on in your mind. Here I was, trying to decipher from your expression what was running through your mind but your eyes were impenetrably cold.

I couldn't see anything beyond determination.

At some point my thoughts merged together. And that was probably the time you actually took a detour and brought the car at a little side landing into the forested area. The London Eye was on the far west, the beaming moon right in the center with the river flowing right by, its currents alluring.

"What are we doing here?" I asked as we got down from the car and I turned to look at you.

"We're here to talk. About us," you replied, when I felt my feet go cold. The aura was too precious to dispel with the chaos ringing in my heart.

"Do we really need to?" I ask hesitantly and I remember seeing that look of incredulity, clearly shocked.

"Okay, that's it. I'll ask you this only once and I want an honest reply. Do I or do I not matter to you?"

"What?" just slipped off my lips like a treacherous friend. My tone gave off the surprise of the statement and it reflected on your face as much.

"You heard me. We've been dodging around this from the last three months and I want some answers."

"It's complicated," I reply, feeling my cheeks grow warm yet I don't meet eyes with him. I'm afraid to.

"Hey, I'm right here. Whatever's weighing you down, just tell me. I'm sure we can work it out."

I look at you for several minutes, my heart and mind a warfield fighting the battle of whether or not to tell you. At the end of two whole minutes of staring at each other and my eyes growing teary in bouts, instinct won.

Without an answer, I started to make my way to the car.

Until, you caught my wrist.

In a swish, you twirled me around with a graceful agility that surprises me to even this date, and even before I had time to process what was happening, I felt our lips meet.

If I thought that our kiss back at the peak of La Tour Eiffel was extraordinary, this one set another benchmark. The kiss we'd shared there was hot and passionate. The kiss we shared here was sheer intimate.

My eyes shut to the sensation of your lips as you bridged the gap between us, our senses ceased long before our breaths. Your lips took mine in one long, slow lock, savouring the taste of the moment between us before we built a steady rhythm, our lips parting and meeting and making me feel things in ways I'd only read about in Danielle Steel books until then.

My hands were at times in your hair, yours were travelling over my waist. My lungs begged for air against your love, your love replenished my soul with sweet air.

It was the most intense five minutes of my life until we finally broke apart, my skin still erupting into goosebumps long after we'd separated. But our heads kissed each other still, eyes finally meeting in all earnest.

"I love you, darling. I've loved you since that first coffee date we'd had in Paris and I knew we were meant to be that night when we shared our first kiss on the tower. But I was afraid, afraid that you never saw me that way and so I never dared to tell you how I felt about you. And then when I started dating a month later, I thought I'd saved a friendship and found love alongside. But I was wrong. You see, my best friend and my love had always been the same person. It's always been you," you breathed out, meeting my lips again in a gentle peck.

When we separated, I didn't bother hiding my tears anymore nor did I bother hiding my feelings. I let him pull me into his embrace and found my cold limbs melting into the warmth of his scent.

"Never, ever let me get away with anything as stupid as this again, love."

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖