8. The Tale of Two Cities

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

Acceptance always was a fickle friend.

It's been two years today since we've been together and yet it feels like yesterday... when I refused to accept that I had feelings for you.

We'd first met seven years ago in the long, elegant lanes of Champs-Elysée where you were just another tourist like I was. While I was on a student exchange program, you were celebrating your 21st birthday in a strange land, looking for destiny in the city of love.

You were my English life saving boat in an ocean of French, and that's where we became friends.

It was obvious from the start that there was a spark between us that neither of us could ignore. We exchanged numbers, email addresses and perhaps even a slightly drunken kiss above the Eiffel Tower on our last night in Paris.

But we knew this wouldn't work.

It was a long distance relationship, and goodness knows how those work out. So we decided to remain friends anyway. We stayed in touch, constantly updated about each other courtesy of Instagram and Snapchat and God knows that in a quest of a probable relationship we found a deepening friendship.

It was five years and becoming best friends later when I remember you called me up one afternoon. I was at work, wondering what I was even doing there on my birthday when for a surprise, your name popped up on my screen. You'd never called me during my work hours before.

"Hey, is everything alright?" I ask, my heart somehow jumping a mile as though on a conclusion.

"Um yeah... I know this could have waited, but guess what?"

"You got posted to London?" I joked, already halfway laughing through it when there fell silence on the other side of the line.

I didn't know for how long it remained until you cleared your throat.

"I don't know how you came to know about it, but yeah. IT'S LONDON, BABY!" you end the last part of your sentence in an excited yell and I think I remember squealing out in such joy, I was lucky my boss was away that day.

And in that moment, I admit that my first barrier of apprehension had broken through. Perhaps my unsaid feelings for you weren't such a bad idea now, feelings I'd been trying to suppress ever since that first kiss.

It was two months and a lot of waiting later when you finally shifted to a decent part of the city in London, close to the business quarters yet not to close to be driven crazy by the traffic, unbelievable as it might be.

And it was perhaps then, as our WhatsApp chats turned into coffee dates and our Instagram search engine turned into posting photos of us together when the second barrier to my apprehension broke.

We were really good together as best friends, and I was living the dream right there.

But the moment that broke, I was visited by the third one.

Did you feel the same way about me?

(To be continued...)

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖