21. Lucky Charm

(Previously)

"Elsa Janet Furnell, will you marry me?"

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

"Yes," I nod my head, tears streaming down my face.

"Yes," I say again, wondering why I'd forgotten all my words.

"Yes," I finally whisper, pulling you into a kiss that seemed like the most befitting response to everything you'd just told me.

I'd often heard people say that often when people in love kiss, they loss track of time and place. But it was only today that I'd finally experienced this in it's fullest extent. I was now standing in front of you with my soul stark naked, the final barrier that you'd broken through around my foot in pieces.

When we finally parted I giggled in spite of myself, kissing the button of your nose.

"Zachary Louis Taylor, yes, I will marry you!" I have out as he pulls me into an embrace, both of us tumbling off the couch and falling upon the floor somewhere through our embrace.

And yet it doesn't matter because both of us so engrossing in laughing and crying together. Engrossed in the full-blown fact that we'd taken the next step in our relationship when we'd least expected it.

We were no longer in a relationship - we were now engaged.

After some time, we both managed to collect ourselves from off the ground, our eyes suddenly falling upon the laptop that seemed to have been long since forgotten. The mail found my eye again, only this time there was just a slight pinch.

And then, nothing.

You notice the split second change in my features because you hold my hand the next minute and smile.

"Do you feel like opening the mail now?"

"How bad can it be, really?" is all I mutter as I take a deep breath, gathering my courage.

How bad could it be, really? I asked myself again, this time mentally bracing myself for a answer. The worst they could tell me was that my books didn't get good reviews, the reviews could be catty, people could make fun of me.

But did it take away anything from the fact that I added my legacy into countless written legacies in this world?

No.

Nobody could take that away from me. And if there was even one person out there who loved what they read, my job was done. Just what I'd always wanted to achieve.

My eyes focus back onto the mail that's still unopened, only this time I have a new mail on top from my boss in big blocks.

ELSA,
DID YOU EVEN GET MY MAIL?
IF YOU HAVE, PLEASE RESPOND TO IT AS SOON AS YOU READ IT.
URGENT

MATTHEW

Both of us look at each other, confused. There was one thing about notifying about a negative mail but there was something else entirely with her former boss sounding this urgent.

All worries fled right of mind, I hit the click button on the previous mail without hesitation. And what I read next stunned me beyond words for the second time in less than an hour.

Dear Ms. Furnell,

We regret throughouly the delay in our response. We are pleased to inform you that the first 20,000 copies of In The Eyes Of You has been sold out on the premier day to a phenomenal response.

We would like you to come into our office by 9 in the morning to further discuss the number copies to be given in for second print and the royalty structure thereafter.

Hoping to get in touch soon,
Lilly Baxter

"Holy shit..." were the first two words I was conscious of finally letting out, realizing at the same time that you'd already pulled me into a hug.

"Congratulations, love," you whisper back, your breath making my skin tingle as our eyes meet. And in that moment, I can do nothing but smile.

Smile because I had the two most important things in my life together. Love and success. And you were my luck in both, something I didn't shy away from letting you know.

"Thank you, lucky charm."

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖