22. In Another World

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖

These five months have been crazy.

And perhaps the fastest five months of my life because I've had no direction of time ever since success stepped upon my doorstep.

It still feels like yesterday when the shock of seeing Penguin's sell-out hadn't fully set in, my journey to the office a blank slate until Matthew made me sit in the conference room and discussed my extended royalty deal.

If I could sell a 100,000 copies in one month, I would be getting a million dollars in royalty, an additional $20,000 on every 10,000 copies sold hence.

The next 100,000 sold out in less than two weeks.

Since then, it's been a crazy ride. Being listed as a New York Times Bestseller for 6 weeks straights and an international bestseller three months after it first published in the US, it's all a very surreal dream, one that I still feel sure of waking up from because it's just that good.

I've never known good things to last long, overnight success even lesser.

But even here, you're there as my voice of reason. You remind me daily that my success was not overnight, but of years and years of hard work that I'd put into it, or rather 15 years of my life into developing the skill set that I finally made a living out of.

In these five years, contrary to my expectations, I've got to be around you every single day. Our engagement was safely kept under wraps except for the private bash we had kept for close friends and family, celebrating not one but three occasions.

Our engagement, my book and your being promoted to Chief Marketing Officer. Ironically enough, it was undertaking the contract of promoting my book that actually got the company one of its biggest clients in Penguin, signed upon a contractual basis that our personal and professional entanglements were completely separate.

And since then, our relationship has taken a different tangent entirely.

I must admit, when the coaster of success began, I was afraid. Afraid that like the countless stories before, it would affect our relationship, not because we changed overnight as well but because circumstances would compel those priorities to change.

When the two of us professionally affiliated, I was even more afraid. Afraid because for the first time, we were both equated in the same line about who was doing better from the two of us. Like countless cases before, I was afraid that an unwarranted ego may seep in, not because we were insecure about our career graphs against each other but because people deemed it only natural.

And yet it's been five months and we're living in another world, it seems. A world where the normal laws of nature don't really apply.

It's not like we have a butter-smooth relationship. We have our own sheets with creases, but we know how to iron our way through it. There are some days where we work at our relationship and some days where we have to work at it really hard.

But what makes our relationship tick is the fact that we believe in team work.

In these five months, no matter what our schedules, we've decided to make time for each other daily by having dinners together, all commitments cast aside. If we want to spend the rest of our lives together, there has to be a rhythm that we set to how things are going to be from this point forth.

And in the world we are living in right now, we're learning to do just that.

➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖〰️➖