Chapter 6 : Discoveries

Chapter 6: Discoveries

Remember the party that the guys told Franchesca about? Well, so far, I haven’t heard any news. As Franchesca or Frank. But the guys have mentioned Franchesca. A lot. Quite a lot. More times than Kiana popped up.

“Dude, you should call Franchesca, before Winter break starts. Tell her that the party doesn’t have a date yet. Do it before you have to leave,” Anthony told Mark a week before winter break. Unbeknownst to them, Franchesca could hear every word they were saying, because she was inside the room, even though she was known as Frank.

“I’ve told you a million times, Anthony. I’m not leaving. Mum and Dad are visiting his parents in the U.K.,” He said, rolling his eyes. He seemed to have opened up to Frank after he met Franchesca, since he started talking a lot more.

“Remind me again why you’re not going with your folks?” Paul added. He was packing his bags, ready to go back to Boston, where his family was waiting for him. Actually, let me correct myself, his sisters were waiting for him. His mom and dad couldn’t care less.

“Because, according to them, we lack money,” Mark replied.

“Total bullshit! You guys are, like, rich!” Derek yelled. Mark turned back to Anthony, who, like me and Mark, was lounging on our beds, instead of packing our luggage.

“How ‘bout you, Anthony? Why you not packing?” He asked. Anthony shrugged.

“Simple. Dad doesn’t want me home.” He turned to me. “Why aren’t you getting your things ready Frank?”

“My parents never wanted me. Plus, they’re in Europe. Somewhere,” I told them.

“Wow. Seriously?” Anthony asked. I nodded my head, and he turned away with his mouth shaped as an ‘o’.

“So I guess it’ll just be the three of us, huh?” Mark started looking back and forth between me and Anthony, waiting for an answer. Then, slowly, a grin spread along Anthony’s face.

“I call dibs on Derek’s bed!” He called out.

“What? No! Dude, taking my bed is just sick,” Derek said.

“Too bad. I’m taking it.” Derek rolled his eyes, but proceeded in folding his shirts.

“Then I get Paul’s,” Mark told me. I gestured towards Paul’s bed, signaling that he could have it. I would never use Paul’s bed. I mean, its Paul’s. He’s disgusting! No way am I going to do anything on it.

The hallways were quiet. Snow was outside. It was Christmas; my birthday. Nobody got anybody presents; it was a tradition at Connor Stanley. You had to receive presents via mail. I didn’t get anything, as usual. I bet Mom and Dad are in Switzerland or something, skiing and forgetting all about me. No teacher was left here, all the students were gone (Except this freshman called Dave, but he hardly counts.), and the people left to take care of us were a select few butlers, the chef (who lives in New York), and a couple of the janitors. We were basically alone. It was past midnight, and I still couldn’t sleep. I was already seventeen, as of that day.

I walked through the hallway, en route to the swimming pool. It was heated, all throughout the year, so I thought: Why not? My swimming bag strap was swung over my shoulder as I tried my best to make as little noise as possible. I was alone in this part of the campus; the dorm house was quite far from the pool. But regardless, the smallest of sounds could sound like a ray of thunder if no other noise was there to counter it. Like at that moment. Finally, I had reached the pool doors, and I reached inside my bag to get the ID card that was given to each person who chose swimming as a sport so they could practice whenever they wanted. I swiped my card on the card reader beside the door, and instantly, the red light became green and the sliding doors opened, allowing me to enter.

What I loved most about the pool was the fact that every single window was tinted, so no one could see you. I flicked on the lights, and I stripped my clothes off, until I was left in my swimsuit. My girl swimsuit. No one was there to see me, and I took the risk. The whole pool house was warm, and I was thankful for it. I removed my wig, and my hair, still brown (I always make it a habit to go to the salon whenever we go to the city. Just in case.), and tucked it safely into my bag. Jumping into the pool, I let the water engulf me, and felt myself relax. Water had always had this weird effect on me. It soothed me. It relieved my stress. It made me feel safe. After a while, I started doing laps. Coach said I had to work on my freestyle. A lot. But nevertheless, I completely ignored her comments and did what I was best in: breaststroke. I did lap after lap, oblivious to the world around me; just focused on completing the next lap. I did it for God knows how long, before I decided I needed a break. Finishing my lap, I put my arms on the edge of the pool and hoisted myself up, placing my butt at the edge and letting my feet dangle in the water. That’s when I heard it. Claps. Goddamn claps.

My head that was looking down at my feet looked up so quickly, that I was surprised I didn’t get whiplash. I was discovered. The truth has been revealed.

“That was marvelous!” He said. “Great job, Frank. Or, should I say, Franchesca?” I took a deep breath. A very, very deep breath.

“Oh my God,” Was the most intelligent thing I could say.

“’Oh my God’ is correct. How long have you been lying to us?”

“Since the first day of school.” I couldn’t help but answer truthfully.

“Why?”

“A lot of reasons. Reasons you can’t understand.”

“Try me.”

“I’d rather not.” He sat down next to me on the edge, and for the first time since I got to the pool, I felt like covering myself up. Sure, my one-piece covered everything required, but I still felt… odd. I mean, one of the perfect boys from Connor Stanley was sitting right next to me. And for the first time, within the walls of this school, I was Franchesca.

Try me.