Chapter 11 : Dress Invitations

My time at Connor Stanley was slowly starting to lessen. By January thirty, I only had five more months to go. Surprisingly, after the time I scissor-kicked Mark in the face, he never spoke to me unless necessary. Anthony said he was being a brat. Derek said he’s just like that (often). Paul said that he’s an ass (he still couldn’t get over the face that Mark slept on his bed). Many people that I’ve kicked or punched or hurt normally sport a bruise for a good half-week at the least, but Mark, Mark’s face was flawless. Not a single speck. It was like he was... I dunno. It was just unbelievable.

To my utter surprise, February thirteenth was the day that Mark decided to finally speak up. Whilst we were all minding our own business; me reading on my bed, Anthony doing something on his desk, Derek throwing something at Paul, and Paul dodging it. School had just ended and we were just starting to settle in when Mark stood up on his bed, and looked like he was going to announce something. Oh, how right I was.

“GUYS!” He yelled, getting our attention. At once, everyone stopped whatever they were doing and looked up at him. He continued in a lower voice. “Thank You. Now, as you guys know, my Mom hosts a regular Ball in San Francisco. This year, like the last, all of you are invited. Also like last year, my Mom won’t accept ‘no’ as an answer.” Mark got off of his bed, and started handing out invitations.

Mrs. Catherine Avery
invites you to the most respected invitation-only masquerade party in L.A.
on Saturday, 16th of February
at The Avery Mansion.
The ball starts at 2000.
Formal Attire and Mask is Required.
Plus One is accepted.

“Sweet,” I heard Derek say. “Your Mom has orders the best catering service!” I, on the other hand, was slightly panicking. I cannot deal with wearing a tux. No way.

“Yeah. Maybe on Sunday, if we’re not too hung-over, we can go catch the premiere of that new movie.”

“Dude, ‘cause your Mom as a director, you’re so lucky that you get awesome tickets to the premieres!” Paul sounded extremely excited. Like a girl about to go on a date.

“Ok then. We leave Friday, before school, at four in the morning. I asked Dr. Gardner, she said that we could leave campus right now to get our tuxes.” Tuxes. Damn. I was hoping that the letter wasn’t serious. “Shall we go?” Mark bent down to grab his coat, and so did the others. I grabbed my Frank-to-Franchesca-and-Back Backpack and my jacket and walked out of the campus and into the city with them.

We had to walk to the city, since there were no buses or cabs or shuttles around, but I didn’t mind. I used to walk home from school, didn’t I? Halfway to the city, when Mark, Derek, and Paul were walking in front of us, Anthony leaned down and whispered in my ear.

“You don’t wanna wear a tux, do you?” I shook my head. “It’s a masquerade ball, Franchesca. You could be whoever you want to be. If you want, we can detach from the guy’s later and go get you a ball gown.” I pondered on the thought for a moment, and Anthony stood up straight once more. After what seemed like hours, we were almost at the New York shopping district, so I grabbed Anthony’s arm and pulled it down.

“I would love to,” I whispered in his ear. A smirk crept along his face and he picked up his speed. He tapped Mark, who was in the middle of the other two boys, and Mark stopped and turned to face him.

“Yeah?” Mark asked.

“Oh, me and Frank are going to go find tuxes separate from you guys. Is that ok?” Mark shrugged. “Thanks.” Anthony turned to me. “Let’s go, Frank.” He started walking off, and I followed him.

“Anthony, I don’t know.” We stood in front of a Valentino store, and I was afraid to go in. I was already out of my disguise, yet, I still couldn’t gather enough courage to go in with Anthony.