Chapter 7 : Little Talks and Mugs

“Damn it, Anthony! You won’t understand!” I was getting frustrated. He couldn’t take a hint. I didn’t want to tell him.

“Frank—or Franchesca—you can tell me. I’ve told you my story, haven’t I?” I looked at his face, full of concern. It was true. He told me his story. Halloween, it was, and after my daily math tutoring from him, he decided he could trust me. I didn’t say a word about it. To anyone.

“Fine,” I gave in. Then I remembered, how did he get in? “But before anything else, how did you get in here? I mean, the pool is locked. Restricted.”  He reached into his pocket and revealed his secret: his phone. It was a Galaxy Note, modified to suit his needs. All of his needs. One of a kind.

“This little baby,” He wiggled the phone, “Helped me hack into the pathetic security system our school has, and opened the doors.” The phone once again was in his pocket.

“How did you know I was here?”

“I saw you leave. I thought you were getting water or something, and decided I wanted some too. Followed you here.” He gestured to all around him.

“How long have you known?”

“About half an hour; as long as I’ve been watching you.”

“You’ve been watching me for half an hour?!” I was outraged. Horrified even. The person closest to what I call a best friend has been spying on me.

“Yeah. You looked so peaceful; I didn’t want to bother you. I’ve never seen you this much at ease since the day we met you as Franchesca.” He shook his head.

“Please, please don’t tell anybody,” I begged.

“Sure. Everyone has their own dirty little secret.” He winked at me. “Who else knows except me?”

“Within these four walls of the school, no one but you. I haven’t told a soul, even the principal doesn’t know.”

“Ok, then,” He said. He whipped out his phone, again. “I’m guessing you know nothing about the security cameras in this pool-area.” Tap, tap, tap. “I need to delete the surveillance that I was here anyway, so I might as well delete the ones that show you stripping off your wig.” I looked around the room, trying my best to find those stupid cameras. How could I have not known? Anthony must’ve seen me looking, with a panicked look on my face. “It’s hidden, don’t bother. And don’t worry, I freezed-up some time frames and replaced the ones with us in it and all the other frames up ‘till three with those.” He looked at me and saw the confused look on my face that replaced the panicked one. He sighed. “Don’t worry, I’ve got it covered. Don’t you trust me?” I nodded, simply because I did. Trust him, I mean.

He let me take a shower in the locker rooms, and Anthony respected my privacy. He stayed outside, and let me lock the door, since, apparently, tonight was a night of rule breaking.

We stayed in the kitchen until three, after we left the pool house. Anthony, of course, so graciously fixed up the surveillance, the same way he did when we were at the pool. I sat there, on the stainless steel island right at the center of the kitchen, my head following his every move whilst he made hot chocolate. Apparently, he knows everything about the school kitchen.

“So,” He said, as he gave me my mug. I put my hands around it, savoring the warmth against my cold skin. “Are you going to tell me all about this… situation?” He leaned against the counter. I took a deep breath, and thankfully, Anthony was a good listener, and didn’t interrupt my ranting that lasted approximately an hour or so.