Chapter 1

Thor, Prince of Asgard, walked down the long walkway that led to the All Father's golden throne. The walls were bathed in gold with intricate carvings displayed on them. Thor's boots tapped against the bright marble floor. Guards were standing at the ready on either side of the hallway, ready to strike at a moment's notice. They wore the traditional Asgardian guard attire. Their armor consisted of a gold helmet with two short, dull horns that curved inward, a gold and silver chestplate and boots, a golden shield, and a long spear-like weapon.

Thor didn't bother to look at any of the guards, since his attention was focused on what was at the end of the hall. The king was sitting on his throne, awaiting his son, Thor's, arrival to him. Thor never took his eyes off of his father as he reached the golden throne. The All Father looked down upon his son, who went on one knee and bowed his head.

"You may rise, Odinson," The king stated. Thor rose from his position and stood up with Mjolnir in his hand. He once again maintained eye contact with his father. "Why have you come here, my son?"

"I have come to make a very important request," Thor replied matter-of-factly. Odin nodded.

"What is it that you desire?" The All Father asked. Thor hesitated, but quickly replied.

"As you know, Father, the realms are nearing the Convergence, and it is my duty to bring peace to the realms during this time of possible disorder," Thor said. The king nodded and listened carefully. "I know that Sif, Fandral, and the others will be fighting at my side, but even then, I cannot be certain that we will succeed."

"You are very strong, my son. You along with the others will surely bring peace to the realms. Why do you doubt yourself so suddenly?" the All Father inquired. He was not accustomed to Thor lacking confidence.

"Father, I do not feel like we alone can bring peace. I believe that another warrior may be needed," Thor responded. Odin nodded understandingly.

"Of course, you may choose an additional warrior to fight alongside you. Name this warrior. I will see it done," the king said. Thor nodded.

"I choose Loki."

"What?"

"Loki, Father."

Odin's expression was a mixture of shock and anger. His face seemed to slowly turn red.

"Why, of all the people in Asgard, would you choose Loki as a warrior to bring peace to the realms? Loki is not worthy of that amount of freedom. He is sentenced to life in Asgardian prison, nothing more. Loki is too dangerous to be let out of his cell," Odin said. Thor could feel him growing angrier by the second. Thor shook his head slightly.

"Father, I understand that my brother has committed many crimes. I also understand that he can be dangerous sometimes, but I feel that if he is to be sentenced to life in prison, Loki should be put to good use. He is smart. He can help us bring peace to the realms," Thor persuaded. The king was very hesitant. He sat there and pondered the pros and cons of each option. If he did let Loki help Thor, they could easily finish the job together, but who is to say that Loki will not try to escape. He could even kill off Thor and the others. Loki cannot exactly be trusted. If Odin chose to decline Thor's request, Loki will remain under control in his cell, rotting away until death. The All Father remembered first seeing Loki back in Jotunheim many years ago. Loki was a helpless infant in the middle of a battlefield.

Odin remembered picking up Loki in his arms. He remembered Loki's blue, Frost Giant skin fading into a light peach color. Loki's crimson eyes turned to an alluring green color. Odin smiled as he looked at the infant.

"Loki, you are Loki," he said. The baby seemed to smile.

The king then remembered where he was and what he was supposed to be thinking about. Odin looked back at Thor and nodded. His choice had been made.

"I will allow it. Loki can help you," Odin stated. Thor's face immediately lit up with a huge grin. "But... if Loki does anything wrong, he is to be put back in prison for eternity!"

"Yes, Father, I understand."

"You may go. I will have Loki meet with you at the Rainbow Bridge first thing tomorrow."

"Thank you, Father," Thor said with genuine gratitude. He bowed down to the king just before leaving the hall.