Chapter 5

Eric's POV

    Tyler Eaton. I've watched this kid since before she could talk. She has always shown potential. If I were to say that was the only reason I kept an eye on her, it would be a lie. But no one can know. No one.

    "Oh lovely," I say slightly aggravated. "I get to return you to Tris and Four."

    She just nods her head. I release her from my grasp and begin to walk towards where I know Tris is. She just follows beside me. Her head is down in what I guess is shame. I stop, take my hand under her chin and lift it. She looks at me, confused.

    "You are a Dauntless. Hold your head high." This is all I say before I continue walking. I despise most everyone. I really do. But this kid, there's something about her.

    We reach Tris and Christina, who both seem to be really worried. When she sees us, I can't tell if her worry increases or if she's relieved.

    "Tyler!" She says with her hands covering her mouth. "Where did you go?!"

    Tyler doesn't seem to know what to say, so I speak for her.

    "I caught this one following me."

    "You were following Er-... Mr. Coulter?" She looks at her with a look I've never seen. It's pure terror, fury and confusion. If I weren't scared for the poor kid, I would be laughing at her referring to me as Mr. Coulter.

    "Your father will want to hear about this," Tris states firmly.

    Oh great, they're dragging Four into this. Poor kid is done for.

    "Thank you, Eric."

    It takes me a second to register that Tris is talking to me, and in a pleasant tone at that. She begins to walk away. I don't know what comes over me, but I lightly gripped her arm to stop her.

    "Go easy on the kid. I don't think she meant any harm," I whisper in Tris's ear.

    She looks confused at my request, but I can tell she will attempt to go through with it.

    They've walked away now, and I'm walking back to my office.

    Go easy on the kid? What's gotten into me? I know why I said it, but really? Has this kid gotten to me?

    I know the answer to my question, and I know why, but I'm too scared to admit it.
———————-
Song: Heavydirtysoul by Twenty One Pilots