Chapter 7

For the next two years, this cycle continued. I tried again and again to follow and talk to Eric, and again and again, I got caught and sent back to my parents. It was almost like a routine now. For a while it was like Eric was getting more and more annoyed. Now though, it was like he enjoyed it. He probably thought it was funny. He had started to call me "Death Wish" because he swore I had one. I snuck away to go see him every other day or so. If I didn't it, he almost seemed... disappointed... or even sad. It was like he expected it now. He still sent me back to my parents every time though.

    Today, however, was different. I had already been caught. It didn't take very long. I had lost my balance and my shoe had squeaked. I knew I shouldn't have worn these.

    "Morning, Miss Death Wish," Eric greeted me. "You just don't give up, do you?"

    "I believe you can answer that question," I reply while suppressing a laugh. He rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

    "You are a very stubborn and determined child."

    "Yep," I reply with a large, mischievous smile on my face.

    "I guess you know the routine by now, kid. Back to Four."

    Oh yay. Back for a lecture. This'll be fun.

    He lets go of me and starts to walk towards my family's apartment. He has a look in his eyes, and I'm not entirely sure what he's up to.

    We walk into the apartment. Mom isn't home. She's representing Dauntless in Abnegation. She's also going to try to visit grandma and grandpa. It's easier now since the "faction before blood' rule isn't as strict. It's still in place, but its more lenient. I see my grandparents on visiting day. They're nice, but I can tell they don't exactly know what to think of me. Dad is currently trying to get my older brothers up.

    "Come on guys. It's 9:30. I think you've slept long enough, and the leaders have a meeting at 10:15 that I am required to be at." His words stop as he turns to see Eric and I in the doorway. He doesn't look very happy to see us.

    "I should've known better than to think you were still asleep," he says. He shakes his head. "I swear, Tyler Bliss, I don't know what I'm gonna do with you."

    "Four." This is all Eric says as he motions for my father to follow him to another room. This leaves me in the living room. They've shut the door to my dad's office area, but the doors aren't as thick as the think. I slip over to the door and gently place my ear next to it. I can't exactly make out what they're saying, but dad doesn't seem happy. Whatever they were talking about, I can hear dad give into whatever Eric wanted. They started to walk towards the door, and I move quickly towards the couch and sit down.

    They both just look at me for a second. Dad seems angry and a little scared at the same time. No one speaks for a few minutes and this silence is becoming unbearable.

    "What is it?" I ask quietly.

    Dad continues to just look at me for a couple of seconds before speaking.

    "Ty..." he starts.

    This isn't gonna end well.

     "Most Dauntless kids start training for combat when they're about your age."

    Umm duh. I've known this since I was like born. We start physical training like running like when we're born pretty much. They want us up and moving. Then we start combat when we're about 7. When we're teenagers we start learning tactics. Every Dauntless kid knows this. Where is he going with this?

    "Most children are trained by their parents or by someone capable."

    Yep. Still know this. So why is he explaining what I already know?

    "Well, someone capable has offered to train you."

    Wait, what? Who? What is going on?

    I give dad a confused look.

    "Who?" I ask. Suddenly it hits me.

    "Me," Eric says as his blue eyes look straight into mine.