Chapter 24

I get my answer a few weeks later. I knock on Four's door. He and Tris got married right after her initiation. Tris answers the door. One of their sons is hanging on to her leg. He's two. He'll turn three later this year.

"Eric?" She looks very confused as to why I'm here.

"Can I come in?" I ask.

She opens to door wider to let me in. I sit on the couch. Four is in the kitchen. He looks as confused as Tris. I sit down on the couch. Tris and Four sit down beside me.

"Ummm.. Eric, I never expected you to come here... ever," Tris says.

"I need help," I say swallowing my pride.

"Help?" Oh Four is loving this.

You don't even understand yet! Jerk!

"Yes, Four," I state firmly. "I need help."

I take a deep breath before continuing. I explain the situation. Charlie, the baby, the attacks, all of it.

"She's not gonna be safe with me," I say with a tear rolling down my face. I've given up fighting them. I look over to see Tris is crying too.

"What can we do?" Four now seems concerned.

"I need you..." I hate this so much. I don't want to say this. "I need you to take her. I can't keep her. It doesn't matter how much I want to. She's not going to be safe. She has to be hidden."

Tris and Four look at each other for a few minutes. They both nod to each other.

"Ok Eric..." Tris says.

"Thank you." This is all I can say. I can't handle this. I walk out of the apartment and back to mine.

When I reach my apartment, I head into my bedroom, which holds her nursery. I sit next to the cradle. I rock it gently back and forth. I can imagine rocking my baby girl to sleep. Singing lullabies to her. Taking her to school. Even going to dances. Having her in arm's reach. Having someone who loves me. But now, I'll never get that... and it's more than I can bear.

-------------

Song: Can You Hold Me by NF