Chapter 11

Tyler's POV

We trained for three years. Going from punches, kicks, other moves and strengthening to even full-fledged sparring. Eric didn't start out going full force on me because he probably would've killed me if he'd done that. Now, I can win a fight with anyone in my age group, even the guys. Many of my peers glare at me because of it, but whatever. If they want to win they need to fight harder.

I'm ten now. I have been training with Eric for three years. I tend to spend more time with him than I do with my parents. After I finish my homework after school, which doesn't take long, we go straight to training, and in the summers we train extra hard. Even on the weekends I tend to go and try to find him. We'll walk around the compound or race or just go find something to do. There are days when he's at a meeting or in another factions or is just busy with something. I really don't like those days. I'm typically bored.

During initiation we can't do a ton either. He's busy training initiates. Every once in a while I gather up the nerve to go in there to try to train with the initiates or watch. I don't do it a lot. Once a week maybe. They don't really seem to care. My dad doesn't like it, but he doesn't say anything. Max came in one time and saw me in there and just laughed. Mom thinks it's funny as well. As long as I'm not causing a problem, I'm fine.

This week, mom and dad are both gonna be in different factions. Mom is gonna be at some meeting in Erudite and dad is overseeing something with the factionless. They're trying to figure out exactly what to do with my siblings and I. My sister, Samantha, who we call Sam, is going to a friend's house, so are my two brothers, Drew and Trey. I don't have that many friends, so that's out. Mom also knows I don't like going to stay with Chris or Marlene. Mom is reasonable and doesn't want me to be miserable for a week. My parents have been discussing what to do for over an hour.

"What about Lynn?" dad suggests.

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Mom replies with what I call a "not happening" tone.

"No..." dad starts. "What else are we supposed to do?"

Mom has an idea on the tip of her tongue, but she won't say it. I can see she wants to, but at the same time she doesn't. Dad can see it to.

"I know you have an idea, Tris. Spit it out," dad says plainly.

"What if..." mom starts but her voice trails off.

"What if what?"

Mom gathers herself before she speaks.

"What if she stayed with Eric?"

Dad's eyes go wide.

"And you think that's a better idea than sending her with Lynn? At least Lynn wouldn't try to kill her in her sleep!" Dad is getting upset now.

"Now Toby," mom begins. She's getting desperate. "Eric won't hurt her, and you know it. Do you have a better option?"

Dad just looks at mom for a second. I can see his anger growing. He doesn't like this idea at all, but I can tell he doesn't have a better one.

"No," dad says, giving in.

"Then ask Eric if she can stay with him this week. I have a feeling he's not going to turn you down there. There we go. Problem solved."

Eric's POV

I'm barely awake when I hear a knock at my door. I walk over and open it to reveal Four. He has a look as if he could kill someone.

"Four, what on earth are you doing here?" I ask very confused.

"I need... a favor," he says between clenched teeth.

A favor? Oh this is killing his pride.

"And what exactly would that favor be?" I say very smugly.

"Tyler. Tris and I are not going to be in Dauntless for the next week. She has nowhere to stay, and there's no way we are leaving her at home by herself. She's ten. Is there any way..." I can tell he's having to swallow his pride. "Is there any way she could stay here this week?"

Oh this is great. First, Four is having to swallow his pride and will owe me a favor. Second, this is a favor I can definitely do. I love this kid. This day just got much better.

"Sure," I say nonchalantly as if it's no big deal.

"Thanks," Four says as nicely as he can at the moment.

"No problem," I respond as I feel a smirk moving across my face.