Chapter 31

Eric's POV

    Final testing is over.

    Hallelujah. I can relax now.

    Everyone is headed towards the pit where rankings will be announced soon. After that, there's always a huge party in Dauntless. Really, Dauntless just use final rankings as another reason to drink and throw a party.

    Tyler has run off somewhere before headed to the pit. Bathroom I think. She's been gone a while though. I head to check on her. I'm sure she's fine, but I still have this bad feeling...

Tyler's POV

    I walk out of the bathroom and start walking towards the pit. It's not far from here. The air seems still... too still.

    As I walk on the bridge that hangs over the chasm, I hear something. I can't make out what it is. It could be footsteps, but I think I'm just paranoid. I continue to walk.

    When I reach the other side, I pair of hands grabs me. I turn to see three huge figures in black. Their faces are covered, so I don't know who they are. They rush me, and I fight back. I'm not winning, but I'm keeping them off me.

    I can't keep this up forever.

    Eventually, one of their fists connects with my jaw, and I fall to the ground. I try to get back up, but it's no use, they're too strong.

    Why have they not thrown me off the chasm yet?

    They don't throw me off the chasm. The biggest one pulls back his fist and hits me several times. I'm world is fading. It's starting to go black. He's hit me in the face and gut several times. He picks me up and slams me into the stone wall.

    How has this guy not killed me yet?

    He's about to take another swing when a fist connects with the side of his head. I hear him hit the ground, followed by his two partners. Two big arms lift me gently. I look into the eyes of my rescuer. They're a piercing blue.

    "Hey daddy," I say weakly.

    "Hey baby girl," he says as he kisses my cheek. "It's alright. I've got you. You're safe now."

    He carries me to his apartment and lays me on the couch. He puts ice and some type of healing cream stuff on my wounds. We have thirtyish minutes until rankings are announced, so we'll get there in time.

    "What happened?" he finally asks.

    I sigh, and then explain what had happened. He looks at me for a few moments. He's scared. I can see it.

    "They weren't initiates," I tell him.

    "I know," he says. It sounds like he's wishing they had been.

    "Why would Dauntless members attack me?"

    "Because they know who you are. They want to hurt me. They want to stop me."

    The Erudite thing. That's what this is about.

    He picks me up and carries me to the pit. We see Miles looking around worriedly. He must be looking for us. He spots us, and his eyes go wide.

    "What happened?!" he exclaims. I smile and shrug my shoulders.

    "Someone tried to kill me," I say nonchalantly as if it's nothing.

    "Ok that's not funny. This is not ok," he says seriously.

    "I'm fine, Miles. It's ok," I lie. Really, I'm scared. Scared of what could happen. To me... to my dad.

    "I don't believe you're really fine."

    "I promise I am."

    He is about to protest when Max enters the room. He begins to address the initiates.

    "Some of you in this room are future Dauntless members and some of you are about to be factionless."

    Well that's a lovely way to put that.

    "Your rankings will determine who that is. So, here they are," he says as ranking appear on the board.

    I'm in first. Miles is now sitting in fourth. We both cheer. We smile at each other. We are officially members of Dauntless.

    "Before you exit tonight to go... who knows where... you will receive a tracking device. Don't ask questions. Just a precaution. But, before we get to that, one of our leaders, Eric Coulter has an announcement and presentation to make."

    Eric moves and stands up on top of a stage that's in the middle of the pit. I know what he's doing. He's looks nervous and yet overjoyed all at the same time.

    "You all know who I am. For years now, someone in this room has been living a lie until recently."

    Everyone in the pit looks confused.

    "Well, now it's time you know the truth. Ty, would you come here please?"

    All eyes turn to me. A path is made from me to the stage. I walk slowly up to the stage where Eric puts a hand on my shoulder.

    "You know this girl's name. At least you think you do. I am here to tell you though, that you don't." He looks at me and smiles, and I smile back. "Today, I am proud to reveal to you this girl's name. I introduce to you, Miss Tyler Bliss Coulter... my daughter."

    The whole pit gasps. There is complete silence for a few moments. Then, one person begins to clap. I turn to see it's Miles. The rest of the crowd follows suit. I turn to see Max is smiling. I can almost read his mind. He's now thinking that my simulation makes more sense now.

    We step off the stage and walk back to Miles. He hugs me and pats my back.

    "Thank you," I whisper in his ear.

    "Anytime," he whispers back and lets out a small laugh.
———————-
Song: Not Dead Yet by Ledger