Chapter 10

Eric's POV

I know I haven't done training by the book, but I want her to be the best. I also want to take it somewhat easy on her for now. If I hurt her, first of all Four will kill me, but I don't know if I could handle it. This kid has really gotten to me. I've got a soft spot for her.

Watching her today, I realized she's more rough and tumble than I originally thought. She's determined. She's also very stubborn. Gets it from her dad I guess.

I walk her to the mess hall for supper. I know I should be taking her back to Tris and Four, but I'm not ready to let her go yet. We get food, and she starts walking to where we ate lunch, but I tap her arm. She looks confused, but I nod my head toward the door. We aren't going to eat there. I'm taking her somewhere else. Her curiosity seems to overtake her nervousness and confusion when she follows me.

We end up at a place I've gone many times before. We are down at the rocks by the edge of the chasm. This is one of my favorite places in Dauntless. There aren't that many people down here at this time of the day because they are all eating in mess hall.

"Why are we down here?" Tyler asks.

"There aren't many people down here. I have a feeling you're not exactly a people person," I tell her.

"Who says?" she retorts.

"Sweetheart, your attitude towards people says it all. Plus, you're dad mentioned it. Why I'm the exception to the rule, I'm not sure."

"I told you, I'm curious. You are a mystery I guess. You're kinda like a puzzle. You're something to solve. Plus, you don't completely suck."

I try not to laugh.

Only if everyone else thought like you do, kid.

"Is that so?" I ask her.

"Yes," she says looking directly in my eyes. It's almost slightly intimidating. How a seven year old can be intimidating, I don't know, but she was in that moment. She has more confidence and courage than I may ever have. She's like the perfect Dauntless.

We eat dinner in silence. We just enjoy each other's company. It's almost weird. I normally hate people, but she's different. She is the exception to my rule like I'm the exception to hers.

When we're finished we continue to sit in silence. We listen to the sounds of the rapids within the chasm. It's almost peaceful in a Dauntless sort of way.

I eventually take her back to her apartment. As much as I hate to, I know I need to. I hate leaving her with Four. I can tell that Four doesn't quite understand her. Not that I don't exactly either, but I feel like I might have a better understanding. I know Four hates this. He hates the understanding and relationship we have.

My face drops as the door closes. I head back to my apartment. It feels empty now that I've had contact with something so full of life.