Chapter 33

Eric's POV

Most people in Dauntless are still partying after rankings were announced. I took Tyler back to the dorms about ten minutes ago. She went to get a shower and has probably fallen asleep. I don't worry too much about her. Miles is with her. I didn't think I'd like him, but I'm warming up to the kid. He's nice to Ty, and she trusts him. I think I can probably trust him as well.

I am attempting to find Four. I need to tell him about this attack. I need his help. We have to find out what's going in Erudite... now. I round a corner to find Max. He is leaning on a wall. He looks almost like he's been waiting for me.

"Eric, I need to speak with you in my office," he said plainly. He starts to walk towards his office. I follow. When we reach his office, he opens to door and motions me in. He shuts the door and is standing behind me. Suddenly, something hard hits me in the head, and the world goes black.

When I come around, I find myself tied to a chair. I try to get out of the restraints, but it's no use. I scan my surroundings to try to find something that can help me get out of the restraints. I see an Erudite holding a syringe.

This can't be good.

He walks over to me, and I evade him until two Dauntless guards hold me down. I struggle against them, but it's no use. He injects me, and my world goes black again.

I wake up in my apartment. The world seems foggy. I look around. Something doesn't feel right. Then, I hear a baby crying.

What?

Now I am extremely confused. I walk into my bedroom and see a nursery.

Wait, this is Tyler's nursery.

I hear footsteps walking towards the door. I turn to be met with piercing blue eyes... my eyes. This me looks younger. He isn't from now. He walks to the cradle. He leans over and looks into it.

"Hey, baby girl," he says softly. He soon picks up a small object.

It's a baby... It's Tyler!

He cradles her in his arms. He rocks her gently and kisses her forehead. She lets out a small laugh. It's like little bells ringing. It's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. He smiles at her. I can't see her face, but I know she's smiling at him.

"It's ok," he says. "Daddy's here. Daddy's got you."

Oh, how I want this to be real. I've wanted this for the last sixteen years. But, I know it's my mind playing tricks on me, taunting me. Showing me what I want. I'm dreaming. Oh, how I want this. I want it more than anything.