3. N

The diner as usual, was bustling with the afternoon rush. It was around two but there wasn't a moment when this establishment wasn't occupied with food enthusiasts. It was just that good.

As soon as Desmond and I stepped inside, I was overcome with vivid images. Memories that threatened to leave me breathless. The black and white pin striped walls, the wall of clocks that seemed to increase each time I came, the kitchen that I'd wanted to work in since I was a kid. It was like a wave of different emotions, crashing down on me and threatening to drag me into the depths of an ocean that I battled each morning that I woke.

"Smells good," Desmond commented as we weaved through the tables and towards the front counter. I kept my head down and remained hopeful that I wouldn't bump into Lana.

We picked up a menu each and stood off to the side of other patrons who were ordering. I held the laminate booklet in front of me and tried to read the words but it was a blur. I couldn't focus. I just wanted to leave.

I was vaguely aware of Desmond commenting on the options. He was complaining about something but then I heard her unmistakeable voice. That rich deep hollering that I knew so well. And when I peered over the menu, the short plump beautiful woman was walking towards me with a look of awe and amazement.

"Ary," her gorgeous dark skin was covered in a sheen of perspire that she'd referred to as her natural glow and as usual, her thick black waves were pulled up on top of her head. "Lord girl! It's my Ary!"

Desmond glanced at me with furrowed brows as Lana pulled me into a bone crushing hug. My chin rested on her head and I held on tight. As much as I didn't want to bump into her, I loved this woman so damn much. She stepped back and held my hands as she gave me a once over.

"Sweetheart you are looking thin!" She shook her head. "But you looking beautiful as ever. Where have you been?! I haven't seen you since the wedding! How are you Des honey?"

"I'm great thanks Lana," Desmond smiled with that dazzling charm that he had perfected so well.

In the year that we spent dating, I had only brought Desmond to Tampa once and I hadn't taken him to Table 32. He had met Lana once when we married and of course, just weeks later, I learned who I had really exchanged vows with.

Even if I wanted to, Desmond didn't allow me to spend a lot of time out and about with friends. I'd become isolated and alone. Which in some ways was easier. I hated lying to people about how I was living. But it wasn't something that I wanted to share.

"You need to come and visit me more miss," Lana bopped me on the nose. "I tried to call a couple of times. You changed your number?"

"Oh. . . Yea—"

"We moved," Desmond wrapped his arm around my waist and gave me a painful pinch in the side. "Shifted house and Arian lost her cell. Jot down your number and she'll be sure to call you more. Right baby?"

I nodded with a tight smile and noticed how Lana's brows pinched for a fraction of a moment before she smiled. "That sounds good darling. I want more calls. You two order and it's on the house alright! I'll come and give you that number in a minute."

She shuffled off through the waiting customers and I felt a pang of longing for the one woman who had been like a mother to me after I lost my own. Desmond dropped his hold and snatched my hand before he started moving towards the exit.

"We're leaving."

"What? Why?"

"The food on that menu is shit and I have work to do at home," he snapped without turning around. I didn't dare to peek behind me as we left. It hurt to know that Lana missed me as much as I missed her. And I couldn't even get close to her because it would mean that she could discover things that I don't want to bring other people into.