26. A

"More maple syrup?"

Aiden held up the ceramic jug with a raised brow on his questioning face. The aroma of coffee and hot food was comforting but the best part of this breakfast was being seated beside Aiden. His disheveled morning hair and shirtless frame was dizzying.

Unfortunately I hadn't been able to finish the the delicious hot waffles. Their fluffy centres and toasted edges were so well done that I hadn't hesitated to tell Aiden how impressed I was at his efforts. He claimed that he wasn't the best in the kitchen but I doubted that I was the first girl he'd cooked breakfast for.

"I don't think I could stomach another bite," I swallowed and averted my gaze. I felt awful for not scoffing them all down like I usually would. Perhaps I was still riddled with anxiety or my stomach had shrunk in the last couple of days. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright," he set the jug down with a soft smile and leaned over, pressing a kiss against my cheek. "Just help yourself whenever you want to eat. You're welcome to whatever."

I felt relieved and a little ridiculous for worrying that he would be upset with me for not finishing. "Thank you."

"The only thing that I would suggest not touching in the fridge, is Po's protein shakes. Simply because they're disgusting."

I laughed as he gave me a cautious look and popped his forkful of food into his mouth. Zoerina wandered in. She was wearing an oversized t-shirt, sweatpants and her hair was a mess. She was a beautiful girl but it was clear that mornings weren't her specialty. However she did perk up when she spied the tower of waffles on the kitchen countertop.

"Fuck yeah," she mumbled with enthusiasm. She stood on the other side of the island and snatched one up, not bothering with knives or forks, she just took an enormous bite. She gave us a thumbs up as her eyes rolled backwards. "Scho good."

Aiden didn't seem concerned. He carried on eating with his head down, ignoring his sister who burped so loudly that it startled me before she took another bite. The food was great. I couldn't blame her.

Her eyes suddenly flickered over to the entrance and Po came strolling in with his active wear on. Aiden mentioned that he and Zoerina did a lot of working out as a form of channeling their desire to fall into old habits. It's something to focus on. A goal to obtain. It was doing well it would seem because both of them were super fit.

Zoerina watched him collect a water from the fridge as she took another bite of her waffle. Her glance fell down to the food in her hand and then back up to Hunapo who was guzzling his chilled water as if his life depended on it. Zoerina suddenly spoke with her mouthful. "Po, lets go and get breakfast."

It made me smile when I saw how soft his expression towards her was. Her hair was a mess, she had a mouthful of food and crumbs all over her lips. But he still stared at her as though she was a rare and precious diamond that was worth more than life itself.

His brows furrowed and he began to shake his head. "We probab—"

"I wasn't asking," she interrupted and wiped her mouth clean as she started out of the kitchen. "I'm going to shower and dress. Be ready in twenty."

Aiden's green gaze was narrowed at Hunapo with exasperation. But he didn't notice. He was watching Zoerina drag her feet out of the kitchen, her t shirt ridden up as she wiped her mouth with the bottom of it.

Hunapo moved his curious glance to Aiden, as if he was seeking permission. I wanted to giggle at his child like stare. It was unusual in comparison to his often flat expression. But Aiden chuckled and waved him off. "Go."

"I'll see you guys later," he offered us a brief goodbye as he left the kitchen. It felt so nice to smile for them. I wanted nothing more than for them to get their second or third or fourth chance together. Whatever it was, I hoped that it brought them both happiness.