Chapter 1: Mouth of Teeth

Ten years later

Sailor

The ocean and I have never liked each other. Even as a kid they were forced visits, at least until that strange girl that had convinced me she was a Mermaid gave me the confidence I needed to feel safe in the ocean.

That confidence was short-lived when my mother had put the bag of shells somewhere and couldn't remember where. Once I didn't have that bag of Mermaid money anymore I feared the sea again.

Which is why my parents decided to hire a nanny to care for me while they sailed the world and improved their business. I'm not sure why they didn't do it sooner, I mean it's no secret that they don't care about me.

But because I'm turning eighteen soon, and that's when I'll begin to learn the trade of taking over my father's business, they're forcing me to go with them today. I tried to get out of it, I really did. But they're being adamant. So I'll humour them, even though I hate the deep abyss with a passion.

It took away the one person who ever truly cared about me (aside from Willa and Clary), and I would never forgive the sea for that.

I sat underneath the boat, draping myself across the bench and looking through the water in the window beside me. I closed my eyes, laying back and prayed I would sleep until we were back on land.

***

When the boat jerked to a stop I tumbled from my napping spot, hitting the ground with an aggravated groan.

What the heck was that for?

I headed up the stairs, sliding my sunglasses on my face when the sun stung my tired eyes. We were out in the middle of nowhere, I saw no land, nothing. Just water for miles. And we were stopped right in the middle of it.

"What happened?" I asked my mom, who looked beyond pissed.

"The stupid boat broke down! I told you we should've taken Chérie, but nooooo, Manuel, you just had to take out this rusted old shit bucket!"

Oh god, here we go.

"The Harpoon was my father's boat! I've always taken good care of this boat it's the only reason you have that expensive ass diamond ring on your fucking finger! So how about instead of yelling at me you try to help me figure it out! Sailor! Go find the gas can! We might just be out of gas!"

I rolled my eyes and went back down, rummaging through everything trying to find a container of gasoline. When I lifted the seat I was sleeping on before, I found some books on sailing, but I also found something I haven't seen in years. I picked up the small bag made of netting, rainbow coloured shells tied up inside.

I remember the day I got these, from the mysterious girl who had convinced me she was a Mermaid. I believed it up until I was about twelve, when you're supposed to stop believing in that kind of thing.

And like I said before once my mother lost this bag of shells I reverted back to my being-afraid-of-water-self. A part of me has always believed it to be true though, and since I haven't found gas anywhere, this might be our last hope.

Obviously nothing is going to happen, and the tides will just take us further and further from any shore, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Anything to get me off this boat and out of the water, away from the people I call my parents.

When the bag hit the sunlight it shimmered in an almost supernatural way, entrancing me for a moment. The little rainbow shells glimmered beautifully, and if I didn't need for us to be saved I would've kept them and added them to my seashell collection. Let's hope that if that Mermaid really is real, that she'll give them back to me.

I went to the front of the boat and with one more look at the odd bag of shells I dropped it into the water, watching it sink further down until I couldn't see it anymore.

It felt like hours had passed by, I was still dying in the heat, my parents still arguing, the boat still rocking in the water as we drifted further and further from civilization.

I looked over the side, daringly allowing my fingertips to brush along the top of the water.

And then I saw it, something that had the hairs sticking up on the back of my neck.

Beady black eyes, gray rubbery flesh, a huge mouth of teeth, heading for the surface-right where I was.

I screamed and stumbled back barely making out the word of my biggest fear before the boat jerked and sent me tumbling into the water.

This is it-this is where I die.

A flash of silver blew past my eyes, unsettling the water so much I couldn't see. Next thing I know I was being shoved up back onto the boat, where I grabbed the side and flipped myself over back to safety. I laid there breathing heavily as for once in my life my parents showed me concern.

I can't swim, I could've just died.

But I realised they weren't showing concern because I could've died, they're concerned because no one would be able to take over the family business, Attwater Fishing Industries, if I had died. And that would've put their retirement plans at a halt, to sail the world-without me of course.

Once again, inconveniencing them.

"I saw a shark, please believe me I saw it." I stuttered out as they helped me back to my feet, my trembling form sitting on a seat away from the front of the boat.

They looked out and around and when they saw a few dolphins jump out of the water they only grinned at me.

"Yes, definitely a shark." My father laughed, shaking his head.

I growled, crossing my arms over my chest.

I know what I saw-and it wasn't a freaking dolphin.

The boat jerked again, but this time it started moving. Against the waves, back towards land. After about an hour, we finally could see the shore and I couldn't be happier. I was about to be off this boat, and on the safety of land.

As the boat came to a stop close enough to the beach where coastguard could come to us, I heard a quiet whistle come from the other side of the boat.

And me, being the relatively curious human being I am-I followed it.

My entirety froze, my jaw dropped, and eyes went wide as they met bright silver ones-

The color of shiny new quarters.

I could see the silver haired girl, well the top half of her face, and I didn't need to see the rest to know she was smiling. She threw something at me and winked, before turning and swimming away. I leaned down and picked it up-it was the bag of rainbow shells.

I guess I got my wish after all-she gave them back to me.

But oh my god.

I can't believe it.

She was real.

And she saved me just like she promised.