Chapter 6: Marinley Has a Crush on a Human

Marinley

"Why are you such a sour starfish this fine evening?" Eliyah asked, blinking his eyes at me.

"I'm not." I replied bluntly, going back to brushing my hair.

"Come on, you can't lie to me. Something is bothering you. Tell me."

"You know that human boy I revealed myself to?"

He nodded, giving me an expectant look. "Yes, go on?"

"Well...I met with him tonight. And this girl joined us and she was so annoying she wouldn't stop talking about how Mermaids were real and I really wanted to choke her to death and it kind of ruined my night."

Eliyah grinned, figuring me out easily.

He always did know me well.

"You've got the hots for a human? Oh my god that's rich."

I narrowed my eyes at him, throwing my brush at his face.

"Shut up I don't have feelings for a human! I barely know him!" I shouted, trying my best to convince him.

And myself.

I barely know Sailor, so why was did I get jealous when he touched another girl?

"Marinley has a crush on a human. I can't believe it. You're one of the toughest Mers I know and you've got feelings for a fucking human. I wish there was a way I could photograph this moment. I want to cherish it forever."

I threw a shell at him-it was the only thing I could get my hands on-and swore up and down I wasn't.

But I was lying.

I didn't know Sailor well, but I want to get to know him.

Is that wrong?

"I don't like a fucking human okay?! I don't even know him I can't like him!"

Eliyah tutted at me, shaking his head. "But you're attracted to him. That's where it begins. You first like the way he looks, and then you get to know him and like him because of who he is. And then you guys fall in love and have naleas. I can see it now. You're gonna have a house on the upside and everything, leaving me to love Ravini and Winla and them finally choosing me over you because you'll abandon us for your new family."

I gave him a bored look, not interested in his antics.

Or his plan to steal the affections of my sharks.

I would never leave them for the topside-Eliyah included.

"Come on, I don't like a human okay. I'm serious. I don't."

Eliyah rolled his eyes, not believing me for a second.

"Fine, whatever you say. I'm going to bed, dealing with a dirty liar has drained me of all energy."

I threw another shell at him as he swam away laughing, falling onto my bed with a groan.

He was right-I did have a crush on a human.

🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈

Sailor tried to see me three days in a row now. Each time I lingered around to make sure he was okay, but I didn't reveal myself. I didn't want to face him yet. I would put the bag of shells back on the dock each time he left, but I never revealed myself to him. I was being a little bitch, I know, but seriously. I was attracted to a human.

I can't give up my life in the sea for a life with him, could he understand that?

"Look at how sad he looks. You're obviously not only torturing yourself, but the poor guy too. Why aren't you going up there?"

I had no response to that question.

Why wasn't I going up there?

"What if I do end up liking him? He wouldn't want me. My own kind doesn't even want me. He's probably just in awe because he found out a fairy tale creature is actually real."

Eliyah raised an eyebrow, looking up at the surface and then at me, then at the surface and back at me again.

"Don't hate me for this. I'm only doing it because it's my duty as your best friend to ensure your happiness."

I gave him a weird look, going to ask what he meant by that when he made a sudden dash for the surface.

He wouldn't.

I raced after him, grabbing the end of his tail and tried to bring him down but he easily shook me off, breaching the surface.

"She's right here!" He shouted before I could stop him, getting Sailor's attention.

I shifted to legs before I surfaced with a sigh, giving Eliyah a dirty look.

I'll get him back later for this.

"I'll leave you two alone now." Eliyah dove back under and swam away, leaving us alone as he said.

Sailor was looking in the spot Eliyah had left before his ocean blue eyes shifted over to meet mine.

"Why haven't you been coming? I've been trying to see you for three days!"

I swam up to the edge of the dock where he offered me his hand to help me up.

I didn't need his help, but I took his hand anyways, liking the way it felt in mine.

"I've been busy." I lied, because I had no reason.

I just didn't want to confront my feelings.

Seeing him again since my revelation made it all the more real.

I, Marinley, a badass Mermaid, am undoubtedly attracted to a human.

"What did I do? I thought everything was fine until after the fireworks show. Did I say something?"

I shook my head.

I'm not one to bear my feelings and I wasn't about to start now.

"No. I was just busy. Don't worry about it. I'm feeling a milkshake. Want to go get one with me?"

My tactic of changing the topic of conversation worked. He nodded, giving me a small smile, and started walking for his house.

I walked next to him, our arms brushing occasionally.

Each time it did his face got a little more red too. It was cute.

He pulled his bike out and patted the spot behind him. I sat down, sliding my arms around his waist with a satisfied smile on my face.