Chapter 7: Space Cadet

Sailor

"Is she always so...dry?" Clary asked, hitting the volley ball back at me.

We were pros at this.

I can't tell you how many days we've spent doing this, hitting the ball around and talking to each other. It was kind of therapeutic.

Clary usually wins though.

"Yes. But I like it. I don't know why but I do."

Clary smiled, hitting the ball right to me. "Are you gonna ask her to go to prom? I bet she'd look bangin' in a dress and heels."

I blushed a little bit thinking about it.

Marinley? My date to prom?

She's probably never been to a dance before or doesn't even know what it is.

Besides, I'm pretty sure Mermaids don't do school dances.

At least that Mermaid.

"No. I don't think it's her thing."

Clary narrowed her eyes at me, grabbing the ball and holding it to her side.

"Prom is a big deal in the high school world. It's senior prom Say, you have to go. Especially with that girl on your arm. Everyone is going to be so jealous of you, think about it!"

I did think about it.

Prom was a little over a week from now, and it was all Clary could talk about. I was excited too. I've always loved going to school dances. Clary and I go to every single one together. I always love spending time with my best friend and we always have a good time.

She was right though. Marinley was insanely hot.

Way too hot for me.

Oh, and a mythological being.

I don't think I could ever see her saying yes though.

"What about you huh? Who's gonna be your date?"

Clary flushed a deep red, mumbling something under her breath.

"What was that?" I teased, trying to get it out of her.

"I'm going with Lisa Wilson."

Clary has had a crush on Lisa for about a year now.

Our school has a small population of 126 students, and they're the only lesbians in our school.

At least, that have come out.

So I'm not surprised something happened between them. It was bound to happen sooner or later. Now I know why she's pushing me to go with Marinley. She doesn't want me to be alone.

Now I guess I have no choice but to ask Marinley. I can't go to prom alone. I've gone with Clary every time and I wouldn't have fun by myself and I definitely didn't want to third-wheel.

Should I do something cool or just straight up ask her?

Does she even know what prom is?

"Hey. Space Cadet. Welcome back to planet Earth. So are you gonna ask her or not?"

I glared at her since she left me with no choice.

I had to ask Marinley.

Holy heck I'm nervous now.

"Yes." I answered with a sigh, rolling my eyes when Clary started squealing and clapping her hands.

"I'm so excited! This is going to be the best prom ever!"