Chapter 12: Fuck You God

Sailor

I spent the morning with my dad.

And it wasn't fun.

He was stern and dry, just as he always is. The whole time he was acting like he'd rather be anywhere than there with me.

It felt really good-NOT.

It actually made me sick being there, seeing all of the different types of fish and lobsters and crabs either dead or in giant tanks cramped and confused.

Marinley would lose her mind if she saw it I'm sure of that. Everything he was doing was legal though, and it upset me that animals could be treated so horribly and it was okay.

I realized today though, that I didn't want to be a part of the company.

That's definitely not what I wanted to do with my life.

I wanted to save sea creatures, not hurt them.

My parents had left after my father finished with me so I grabbed Strover and headed down to the dock. He got excited when he saw it and I think he knew it's where Marinley would be. Since it was earlier in the day I used the bag of shells to reach her.

"You rang?"

I jumped and spun around, smiling at Marinley who had finally arrived not even ten minutes later. She tossed the bag at me and I caught it with ease, sticking it back in my pocket.

"I just...wanted to see you." I told her honestly, her grin turning into a smile.

"I have all day today. What would you like to do?"

"I kind of just want to spend the day at the beach and at the boardwalk. If you want to, I mean."

Marinley watched me before she nodded with a grin on her lips. "I've never been on a rollercoaster. Eliyah didn't want to come with me the few times I've wanted to go so I'm okay with that. Let's go get your bike!"

Our hands brushed a few times but no one made a move to hold each other's hand.

I desperately wanted to, but I wasn't sure how she'd respond to it.

I was surprised though, when her hand slid into mine and held it.

I held her hand back.

And damn did it feel right.

Pardon my language.

Strover ran beside us as we rode my bike to the boardwalk. This was one of the best places in the town. The rides, the food, the games. And when you're done and ready to take a break, you walk down to the beach and hang out in the sand.

I would never get in the water.

I mean now I might but before? I'd find a place in the sand and sit and watch Clary play in the water.

Now I think I would join her.

No, I definitely would.

I bought us two wristbands and secured Marinley's before she helped me with mine.

Her skin is so cool, I don't mean her skin is cool but she's very cold to the touch.

But it feels nice. Especially in this heat.

Marinley had her eye on a giant stuffed shark the moment we walked into the boardwalk. It was kind of cartoon-ey, but she wouldn't take her eyes off it. I was going to win it for her. It was the game where you throw the ball at the bottles.

I wasn't good at this game at all, but I had to try.

I had a girl to impress.

"How many do I have to knock over to get the shark?"