Chapter 4: Do I Correct Him?

Marinley

"Are you ready? We need to go now!" I shouted at Eliyah, pissed he was taking so long.

He made me wait to destroy their boat because he just had to be my backup.

What backup he is.

We should've been on our way by midtide!

"Okay I'm coming keep your tail on!" He came out from his room of the cave painted black.

Even his hair was black.

Even his fucking eyebrows were black.

I couldn't help the laughter that erupted in me. I never should've told him what I was doing and I could've been done already.

Now I have to deal with this fucking idiot painted black as "backup".

Help me now.

"What? It's so if they shine lights they won't see me okay! I stand out just a bit ya know!?"

I made a funny sound trying to hold it back but started laughing again anyways.

My best friend is an idiot.

"Okay let's go."

Ravini and Winla swam in front of our cave entrance, stopping us from leaving. They swam up to me and circled around me, brushing me with their noses. They were getting so big it kind of jerked me around but I loved it. They wanted to give me affection and I would happily take it.

"I won't be gone for too long, stay at the back of the cave and stay safe. No wandering without monay."

They shared a look but swam to the back of our cave, allowing us to leave.

And now my night begins.

I laughed pretty much the whole time we swam to the boating dock. I'd be surprised if no one heard me. I'd be fine and stop laughing and then I'd turn to check on him and forget he was like that and just start laughing again.

I wouldn't give him up for the world but...why him?

He's an idiot.

He wasn't taking my laughter lightly either. He kept giving me dirty looks and rolling his eyes. He even mocked my laughter he was so sick of me. I couldn't help myself.

We finally made it to the boat close to high tide, the men were just leaving the boat.

Eliyah and I surfaced, just our heads, and I bit my lips to stifle laughter as Eliyah gave me a serious look.

"I fucking hate you." He mumbled under his breath, low enough so only I heard it.

I grinned, shaking my head at him. If he hated me he wouldn't be here with me right now, risking his life to be my backup.

Some of these guys are dangerous.

A Mermaid isn't immune to a bullet wound. We heal faster than your average human, but a gun could kill us.

So we have to be careful.

We waited them out until the last guy left in his car to get on the boat. I made Eliyah wait as I scoped out the boat to make sure no one was staying in it. When the coast was clear, I whistled to get his attention. He came around the corner walking on his tiptoes and his arms scrunched up like a t-Rex.

Why is he this way?

"You're not being more discreet you know. You just look ridiculous."

Eliyah rolled his eyes and stood straight, grumbling under his breath-something like "you take the fun out of everything".