04

It was of very little surprise to see a bright red 'F' on her work. Willow shrugged and stuffed her chemistry work away. She knew though, that if she had got help the teachers would become suspicious. How could someone who was always failing the subject suddenly pass with flying colours? She wasn't exaggerating. Jonathan was that good with chemistry. She envied him there, since their little encounter with Bo she'd not seen or spoken to him.

Willow wasn't even sure he was in school today. She hadn't seen him yesterday either. There was a problem, whereas most students when they were absent one could easily approach a mutual friend and ask if they've heard from them; Jonathan hadn't got any friends. He kept himself to himself, spent break times reading under the trees in the playing field, or effectively sitting in peace in the library.

There was literally no one to ask to see if they'd heard from him. Willow kicked a pebble and continued to walk down the street. It was slightly sad when she pondered over it, how could someone not have any friends? She had made a few in the space of a day. How could someone who'd been at the school since a young age not have made one single friend? It confused her, turning the corner she continued on her path. Stopping at an iron gate, she looked up at the big building beyond.

It looked so Gothic with its architecture, the windows were huge and even from here Willow could see thick red curtains drawn across them. Letting out a short sigh, Willow pushed open the gate and walked up the cracked path. Weeds sprouted through the cracks, someone clearly didn't care much for their garden.

Stopping at a thick dark wooden door, Willow reached up and knocked quickly three times. Shuffling from foot to foot she looked over her shoulder. A part of her felt like she really didn't belong here, or she really shouldn't be here. Regardless she ignored these feelings and waited for the door to open. When it eventually did an old woman with a rather annoyed glint in her eyes stared at her. Willow smiled widely, "Hello, is Jonathan in?"

"Why?" Willow shuddered, the way she said 'why' was so oddly and scarily the same way Jonathan pronounced it.

"He's not been in school for two days. I was wondering if he was all right?" Willow made a popping noise and tried looking over the old lady's shoulders.

The woman grunted and shook her head. "Dreadful cold."

"Can I see him?"

"What?" She laughed, "And you catch it too? No, no," shaking her head she opened her eyes and narrowed them up at Willow again. "Is that all?"

"I have work I need to give him."

"Hand it over I'll pass it on."

"Well I have messages which go with the work which I need to give him. And lady, I'm too lazy to repeat it all to you. So, can I please quickly see him?" Willow grumbled, this was one of about two moments Willow had had with Jonathan's grandmother. The first time happened when he showed her where he lived. Which both of them regretted because Grandmother Crane shouted at them both. It seemed she wasn't fond of Jonathan having company of any sort. Maybe she was to blame for his withdrawn friendless state. "Well?" Willow questioned, she relented and got let in. Walking towards the big staircase, Willow quickly ran up it and along the corridor.

Reaching the door she was looking for she knocked quietly, there was no 'enter' instead the door opened. Jonathan looked down at her blank faced, "Yes, Willow?" Willow looked over her shoulder in the direction of the staircase and could already hear Grandmother Crane's footsteps.

Putting a hand on his chest, she shoved him back into his room and shut the door. There was no 'shutting the door', Willow placed her booted foot against it and kicked it shut. Jonathan pushed her away from himself, seemingly completely repulsed by the fact that she had touched him. "What do you want? If I remember rightly I told you to leave me alone soon after you got me into a fight."