Chapter 2

I wake up to a pounding head. The gardens around me are dark-the flowers seem to be wilted. I put a hand to my stinging arm, and remember what happened. I thought she was my friend.
I spring up off the ground, and sprint towards my castle. Along the cobblestone path, I meet up with some of my personal guard.
"She's gone." I pant. Then I take off running.
Tago, the Captain of the Queens Soldiers, comes up to me. He has greasy blonde hair and small piggy eyes. I don't like him very much. But he (up until tonight) has kept intruders out of Faiyria.
"Your Majesty." He says, bowing. I roll my eyes.
"Have Gai Fynn brought from his cell to the throne room ASAP. I have questions for him." I say curtly. Tago frowns.
"With all do respect your Highness, I really don't think you have a need to interrogate Master Fynn again. It's futile." He tells me.
I sigh in frustration.
"I'm your Queen. Do what I say!" I snap. Tago narrows his eyes at me.
He doesn't respect the fact that a 15 year old girl is bossing him around.
I point angrily in the direction of the castle with my good arm. Taco scampers off as I continue to head to the castle.
Gai is waiting in my throne room when I get there.
"You've looked better." He sneers. I'm sure I have. Right now, covered in blood, my dress ripped, and a dark bruise already forming on my temple-I'm sure I have. But then again, Gai doesn't look too good either. He's lost weight, and his skin has taken on a yellowish tinge. I've made sure that Gai had the supply's to survive, but obviously he wasn't used to feeding himself.
"At least I don't smell like a mixture of urine and sweat on a rotted corpse." I scowl. Gai just glowers at me while I stride up to my throne.
"I have questions for you." I whisper. He can barely contain his impatience. I have indeed interrogated him several times, and he's given me all the information that he says he knows.
"Your a fool! I've recounted my tale several times." Gai blurts. Tonight, I am not in the mood for the stupid games Gai insists on playing.
Truly angry now, I slowly stand up and walk towards Gai with slow, menacing steps.
"I would be fool if I believe you've told me everything I need to know." I say quietly, but with power in my voice.
"Now answer me-who are the Amazons, and what do they have to do with me!" I ask in the same deadly tone.
Gai smirks.
"I'm sure they are mad. Your not supposed to be alive." He mutters.
I reach for the hilt of Ignis, making sure Gai notices my movement. His eyes widen.
"The Amazons were the ones that attacked your ship four years ago. One, a young recruit named Electra, was placed in charge of making sure you died. I wouldn't want to be her right now." Gai tells me. I sigh.
"Thank you." I say grudgingly. I summon guards to take Gai back to his cell. Then I collapse tiredly onto my throne.
I spin my ring-the royal seal-around my finger. It used to belong to my father so it's big on my small finger. But it's comforting. Like having a piece of my family with me. I sink deeper into the purple velvet.
Oh Father. What would you have done now?
I close my eyes and think. My father didn't like confrontation. He probably would send diplomats to reason with the Amazons. But they wouldn't be mad at him. They're mad at me. If I sent diplomats, they would die. I don't have a big enough army to protect Faiyria. Yes, we would win the battle, but with great wounds. Then Echidninare would just walk in and take over. We couldn't put up much of a fight. That leaves me with two options. How can I choose between the unacceptable and the unbearable?
I rake my fingers through my messy blonde hair in frustration. There's a light knock at the giant wooden door.
"Come in." I wearily say. Mufar appears.
"Your highness." He says respectfully, bowing. This, at least, makes me smile.
"Mufar I told you to just call me Eadu. We're friends." I smile.
He stands, but still looks serious. Immediately I suspect the worst.
"Ugh what now!" I groan.
Can my already awful night get any worse?
"The Seatadors are having a meeting. Without you." He tells me.
Apparently it can.