Chapter 16

"They're gone!!"

"Search the camp!"

"They can't just have left!"

I lie in bed hearing the commotion I've caused. A smirk sneaks onto my face as I hear the pandemonium. I open my eyes and roll off of my bed. I walk outside and into mass confusion.

A good start to the morning.

Breakfast is cold leftover slop from last night. The cook didn't have time to prepare anything this morning. I cheerfully gulp down my cold soup and 'help' the camp search for Laura and Branwen. I only pretended to help-by now hopefully they're well on their way to Byfay. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. Last night I told Laura I knew what I was doing.

I lied. She wouldn't of gone if she knew I had no plan. Bless her heart, but I'm glad she's gone. Now I only have to worry about my life.

It's lunchtime by the time Electra gives up in finding them. I keep a stony expression on my face as Electra tells me that they took my horse. Of course, I already knew that. I walk away and stand by the beach pondering my thoughts. I wish more then anything that I could be on the road to Byfay with Laura and Branwen. But I have a job to do.

"It's different without Branwen's constant chatter." Mali approaches me. I nod. I'm glad Bran is in a safer place, but I don't know if I'll ever see her again. That makes her escape bittersweet.

"Sure is. I almost miss her. " I say honestly. Mali and I stand together at the edge of camp. I look at her scrutinizingly. When we were at Asenhouse, she only had a couple inches on me. Since then she's grown quite a bit. She now towers over me. But to be fair I guess, almost everybody towers over my 5'0 self.

"What happened to you?" I ask softly. Mali shrugs.

"After Gai left and didn't come back, the servants didn't know what to do. So I left. I wanted a fresh start. I found Electra and joined the Amazons. She sent me to look after the thieves for a couple months when you showed up." She mutters. I nod. I feel like she just opened up to me. Hopefully that means she trusts me again. I want to be her friend again. But I guess when she finds out who I really am, anything we ever had will disappear. Mali isn't the forgiving type.

Neither am I.

The gong rings frantically. I frown and look at the sky. It's nowhere near dinner time. It's around noon. We only ate 15 minutes ago. Something is going down. I run into the clearing to see two horses approach. One with Laura riding-head down, shame faced. I groan inwardly.

The other is a man I recognize immediately. I bite my lip and swallow hard.

It's Tago.

"I saw her riding away from your camp and recognized her. Don't you know who this is?" Tago tells the group of women gathered in the clearing.

Don't say it. Please don't say it.

"This was Princess Eadu's best childhood friend! They were like sisters. The Queen always talks about her!" Tago says.

I grit my teeth in frustration. Of course Tago would recognize her. They were living at the castle at the same time.

This throws a huge wrench in my plans.

Electra approaches Laura menacingly.

"Where's the little one?" Electra asks.

I try and tell Laura with my eyes to pretend not to ever have talked to Branwen.

Laura catches me eye. I plead silently.

Laura turns away.

"What little one?" She asks.

Electra grits her teeth.

"The girl! Branwen!" She shouts.

Laura looks bewildered.

"I thought Branwen was here?" She says. I want to go up and hi-five her. Laura is such a convincing actresses.

Electra groans and throws her hands in the air.

She walks away. Nobody moves. She turns around.

"What are you doing! C'mon!" She yells.

We follow Electra to a tree. She grabs Laura roughly and makes her wrap her arms around the tree. She then ties Laura hands so tightly Laura winces. I have a sinking suspicion in my gut. It's confirmed when Electra pulls out a whip. I frown.

"Tell us about Eadu. We only want information." She says coldly. I groan. I can't let Laura get hurt like this for me. Laura looks at Electra.

"Never!" Laura says with enough ice in her voice to freeze a sauna.

Electra shrugs and raises the whip.

"Wait!" I yell. I dash in front of Electra.

I hear Laura softly groan as I stand in front of her.

"This is my fault. I helped Laura escape. I made her leave. If you should whip anybody then it should be me." I say frantically.

Electra glares.

"This isn't about trying to leave! This is about Eadu!" Electra screams. I gulp.

"Are you blind! Look at her!" Tago yells at Electra. Electra turns to him angrily.

"How dare you-"

"It's her! It's Eadu right in front of your eyes." Tago says quickly before Electra can finish. Electra slowly turns back to me. Recognition dawns on her face.

"Oh" She hisses softly.

The jig is up.