Chapter 6

A/N-I just wanted to thank everybody who is leaving such amazing comments on both books. For a while I wasn't sure if I should continue with the Runaway Queen. I was going through some tough stuff and couldn't see the point of continuing. Then I came back to Wattpad and was overwhelmed by the encouragement I received. You guys are the best readers in the world. I can honestly say that you guys are the reason I continue writing. Never ever forget that every single one of you are amazing. Ok-I'm done talking. :)

I forgot how good the food is that the servants at Asenhouse make. I'm serious-the soup they served us was literally the best I've had in a long time. The castle cooks are good but the chef here is freaking awesome!

I stew over the rich broth as people casually talk around me. I take slow sips, and try to think. I think everybody can tell I'm not in the mood to talk, so they don't bother me. I need to tell somebody about what I'm planning on doing-obviously if I left a note they would assume I've been kidnapped. Mufar would lock me down in the dungeons before letting me go. Derrin would insist on coming with me. I'm telling Briss later tonight, but no sooner because she could tell Mufar. So that leaves Jaosh. He's probably the last person in the world that I want to trust, but what choice do I have? So as soon as I realize that he's done his soup I stand.

"Jaosh, would you mind accompanying me on a walk?" I ask. He can't really refuse without being impolite (a big no no when your in the presence of a queen) so we end up walking through the woods where I last talked to my mother. For a while we walk in silence, until I steel up the nerves to talk.

"I'm leaving tonight. I'm going to the Amazons and removing the threat before they destroy my country." I blurt out.

He responds in the worse way possible. Jaosh doesn't say a thing.

I wish he would start to yell at me and tell me how stupid I am. That way I would know what he's thinking. But he just keeps walking. I stop and glare at him, forcing him to stop and look at me.

"Well?" I demand. Jaosh just stares at me.

"What do you want me to say Eadu?" He asks quietly.

Somehow this infuriates me even more.

"I don't know! But don't just act like you don't care!" I yell.

For the first time since we started talking, he lowers his eyes and stares at the ground.

I know I'm over reacting, but I just can't help it. I'm so upset at this boy, who doesn't even care that I might die. Betrayal rises in my throat and chokes me. I made a mistake in confiding in Jaosh.

"Whatever. I got to go." I say flatly. I turn to head back to Asenhouse, but he grabs my wrist and spins me back to face him.

"Eadu-of course I care about you. Don't ever think that I don't. The reason I didn't scream at you is because I know there's no point in telling you that under no circumstances you may go. We both know you won't listen to anything I say. You'll go anyway. Even if I tell Mufar, your going to find a way to sneak out. Your going to do anything to get out of this place. I'm already scared out of my mind for you, but your a royal. Sometimes they have to sacrifice for they're country. You know that better then anyone." He tells me. All my anger drains out of me at his words. Unexpected warmth rushes through me, and my face softens.

"Your so right. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." I whisper.

"I guess I'm a bit on edge." I laugh weakly. Jaosh smiles at that, and I know I'm completely forgiven. We continue to walk for the most part in a comfortable silence.

We must of walked for a mile. I learned about Jaosh's life-his two younger sisters, and about how his uncle found him after his ordinary blacksmith father died. I told him about my life-about how I lived on the streets until I was kidnapped. I told him things I've never told anyone before. Story's about how the baker's face turned all different shades as he yelled at me. Or stealing Madame Scholy's favourite necklace after she beat one of the younger girls for no rhyme or reason.

I realize that I've always looked back on my past with bad memories. I thought I had it so hard. But to be honest, I didn't have it half bad. Yea, I may have been unloved and practically starving, but its made me such a more compassionate person. I know what 90% of Fayiria's population live like. I know what its like to be so hungry it feels like my stomach is trying to eat the rest of me. Its made me become a much better Queen. And Lynx is a part of me that will always stay with me. I have so many good memories that I'll always cherish. All of a sudden I feel lucky that I've lived my life. I always used to wish for another life, but now I wouldn't change it for the world. Spending time with Jaosh has helped me realize that.

When we get back to my room, I impulsively stand on my tiptoes and gently kiss his cheek. In a friendly way of course. No matter how many hours I spend with Jaosh, I'm still never going to be able to love him in a romantic way. The best part is how I know that he feels the same way. I don't feel like I'm leading him on, and thats a huge weight off my shoulders.

Jaosh leans down to whisper in my ear.

"Good luck. I'll see you in ten days. Don't destroy all the Amazons." He says. I nod nervously and retreat into my room.

I wait up until a quarter to 11, nervously reviewing my plan. I drugged Mufar with a sleeping syrup at dinner, so now all I have to worry about is Derrin. I send up a quick prayer, and change into the clothes I wore when I came. The boots that I wore, which were new at the time, are a bit snug in the toes. I quickly sneak out of my room, leaving my clothes strewn on the floor.

I find Briss sound asleep in her bed. I clamp my hand over her mouth so she won't yell out. She's awake instantly and struggling until she realizes that its just me. When I'm sure she's n0t going to scream, I remove my hand. She gives me a patronizing glare.

"You could of just shook me awake. Usually people only scream when they're being attacked!" She hisses.

Oh. I didn't think of that.

"Sorry! Anyway I need your help." I mutter. She's instantly awake and all anger is forgotten. I quickly explain my plan to her.

"I need you to convince them not to come after me." I sum up. I can tell she's going to protest.

"Please!" I beg her. She sighs.

"Be careful!" She pleads. I nod, and hand her a letter.

"Also can you give this to Derrin? It...explains things." I murmur. Briss's face is soft. She knows exactly what I struggle with.

"Of course. But here-take this." She says. She hands me a tiny silver ring. I string in onto my always present necklace right beside the flame pendant.

"Thank you." I whisper. Then I give her a hug, and flee from the dark room.

I am soon out of Asenhouse, and at the stables. I unleash a dark one called Silver.

"C'mon girl. Lets ride." I whisper. Then I jump on her and let her run. We streak into the dark forest, the heat of Briss's ring burning into my skin reminding me of everything I'm leaving behind. Reminding me of home.