Chapter 3

The Seatador Council can't just do that. They can't have a meeting without me! But they have.
I spring from my throne and throw all my ladylike training out the door as I run, full tilt, down the halls.
I burst the doors open to the court room and all the talking immediately stops. Tago is sitting in my seat at the head of the table. I narrow my eyes at him.
"Your majesty! We thought it would be better to let you rest after the attempt on your life." A Seatador says. I smile.
"In all the years you've known me have I ever rested at a tentative time like this?" I respond sweetly, making the Seatador fumble for words.
"But in any case I am here now." I say with a icy tone. Nobody is looking at me. Tago is still in my chair. I clear my throat. It takes a couple seconds before he looks up. Only then does he reluctantly take his assigned seat, at the end of the table. I survey the table. Most of the Seatadors are looking at the fine oak table, refusing to meet my eyes. I address one of the only ones that isn't staring at the table like it's from a different world. A woman named Isla that has always been one of my favourite Seatadors.
"Lady Isla, would you care to enlighten me on what you were discussing?" I ask her. She doesn't hesitate before responding.
"My queen, the attempt on your life was serious. The others thought it would be appropriate to discuss a plan of action immediately while you rested." Isla states. I nod and sit down, keeping my face straight and unreadable. But to be honest, I'm trying to keep a satisfied smirk from showing on my face. Isla has clearly told me that she wasn't happy with the idea of having a meeting without me. In other words, whatever's going to happen, at least Isla is on my side. When the others aren't looking, I wink at Isla and give her a thumbs up, to show her I understand. She just smiles weakly in response.
"Tago-start talking." I order. He grimaces before speaking.
"The Seatador Council has decided that the safest option for you would be for you to go into hiding. A steward will be placed on the throne until you return, upon there will be another vote." Tago says hurriedly, like he's scared. Which is ironic, considering he's the captain of my armies.
"Oh yea? Who would be the steward? And what would the vote after my return be about?" I ask icily, making several Seatadors shrink lower in their seats.
"There is a threat of war. Considering I'm your Captain, I will be the steward until decided." Tago answers, a threatening tone to his voice, telling me to back down or else.
I don't.
"What will the vote be about?" I ask again, rising to my feet.
"You are only fifteen your majesty and you are a girl. You are hardly capable of leading Faiyria into war. You are much to young to be the ruler of Faiyria. The vote will decide if I will be the King until your of age." Tago says-patronizing.
I hate this man. He stands there with such a smug look on his face. All I want to do is walk up to him and smack the smirk off his face, and into the next country.
"There is no way, as long as long as I'm living, that you will ever be the king of Faiyria. You will be the downfall of my country. Plus, somebody as fat as you wouldn't fit on my throne." I explode.
Tagos face turns red because of my last jibe. Satisfaction ripples through me.
"As if a fifteen year old girl could do better then I could." He growls.
"A pig could do better then you could. And for the record, that fifteen year old girl outranks you. So unless you want to join Gai in the dungeons, I suggest you shut your mouth." I taunt him right back.
Tago looks at me with a fiery gaze. Then he sits down.
"Yes your highness." He says sullenly.
"Good. Look, I'm not going anywhere. My country needs me right now. I will not go and hide!" I tell the court. There is murmurs between the Seatadors at my statement.
"It's already been decided my Queen. You leave at first light tomorrow." One says. I know immediately that this battle is lost. I'm leaving tomorrow weather I like it or not. Why not make the most of it? I slump in my chair.
"Alright. But Tago will not be in charge of the kingdom while I'm gone." I firmly tell the court. The Seatadors agree.
"Fine. The council is dismissed." I say shortly. The Seatadors leave in pairs of two or three until at last I'm alone. I stand and take off, slipping off my awful shoes, and going barefoot. I head to a balcony that I know isn't usually occupied. I sit on the ledge, dangling my bare feet in the open air, just like I used to do at Asenhouse.
My mind swirls with a thousand thoughts a second. So much has gone on tonight. Two attempts to de-throne me, by two people I used to think were my friends. Well, Kaone was my friend. Tago I've never liked, but I did trust him. A little. Life can be so complicated sometimes.
I think about my time I spent as Lynx. I was a orphan. I had nothing. But I was free. Sometimes I wish for that life. I didn't have any sort of luxury, but I was happy. Kind of. Here, I'm alone. I'm left to rule a huge kingdom by myself. This was always supposed to be Mithil's job. He was the oldest, so he was entitled to rule. The people loved him. I was supposed to be married off to some rich prince or duke or somebody and live a nice peaceful life. But fate's not on my side. My whole life has been bad luck.
"Your Eadu then." A voice behind me makes me spin and draw my knife.
A boy stands there, his hands raised in surrender. I recognize him as one of the suitors, and immediately don't like him. At least he isn't one of the drunk ones. This one's about my age.
I lower my knife, but not my guard.
"Can I help you?" I ask him.
The boy lowers his hands.
"Some people sent me to find you. We're supposed to go down to the dining hall." He tells me. After the night I just had, I'm not sure I trust him. I narrow my eyes suspiciously. The boy rolls his hazel eyes.
"Seriously. I'm not lying." He says.
"If you are, I swear..." I threaten him. The boy laughs. I'm not sure what to think. I wasn't joking about hurting him.
"My name is Jaosh." He smiles. Usually a kidnapper/murderer/traitor wouldn't give me his name.
"Obviously you know my name. Fine lets go." I say resignedly.