Chapter 13

"I'm here to join the Amazons." The words tumble from my mouth without permission. I would've clapped my hand over my mouth and scolded myself if my hands weren't tied behind me. Instead I scowl fiercely.

Electra's eyebrows raise in disbelief.

"Let's take a walk." She says coldly.

I'm untied and shoved towards Electra. She looks at me with distaste, and starts walking.

"C'mon."

We walk into the forest. Now that I'm closer, I can see wooden buildings disguised by the trees all around the clearing. I wouldn't of seen it if I hadn't known it was there. Electra leads me towards a long building with a low roof.

"You say your a thief? Go steal something valuable from the kitchen. Be back here in one minute." Electra dismisses me. I just stand there until she gives me a look.

"Your down to 55 seconds." She tells me.

Crap

I sprint into the building and then silently tiptoe through the long dining room. I slip into the kitchen. Only one girl is there, working with her back to me. I wildly look around for something to grab. A shiny silver knife sits at the far corner of the room. I quickly grab it and dash out of the room.

As I come out, I can see Mali talking to Electra. When they see me coming, Mali quickly walks away. I reach Electra and hand her the knife.

"Impressive. Let's keep walking."

We walk along the beach until we reach a rough wooden hut that I'm pushed into. Several beefy, scary women await me. Panic rises in my chest. My first instinct is to fight my way out of this crowded, dark but. But I swallow it and take a seat in the chair that is offered to me.

"What's your name again? Lynd, Lire?" Electra asks.

"Lynx." I say to her shortly. Electra turns her icy blue eyes on me.

"Ok Lynx. Why shouldn't we kill you?" She says tightly. I bite my lip. What do I say!?

I sit in silence for a couple seconds. Electra sneers. I look at her with loathing. This is a truly despicable women.

"Ok girls-kill her." Electra orders.

I have no choice. Those huge women are drawing weapons and advancing on me.

"Wait!" I yell. Nothing happens.

"I know where the treasury of Faiyria is!" I shout. Electra's eyes widen.

"Stop" She yells. I feel a presence behind me, and I see a woman standing above me with a sword aimed at me heart. With Electra's words, she reluctantly backs off.

"What did you say?" Electra hisses.

"I know where the treasury of Faiyria is. I've been there myself." I tell her. Technically I'm not lying. I have been there. I know where the hidden cave filled with gold is. But there's no way I'm going to tell her. I've just bought myself more time.

"Why don't you tell me where it is sweetie?" She says kindly. Electra gives a sweet smile. I'm not buying it.

"I'm not stupid. I know your going to kill me as soon as I tell you." I say sharply. Electra's smile drops.

"Not bad. Your pretty smart." She says.

"Thanks...I guess." I respond.

Electra leans towards me and surveys my face intently. I'm a little nervous she'll recognize me as Eadu, but she doesn't seem to connect the dots.

"Mali was telling me that you were upset when I killed the priest in Morford. It seems you were quite close to him. Would you try to seek revenge on me?"

I grit my teeth. Of all questions she had to ask...

"I might." I say. In truth, I know I will.

Electra leans back in her chair and laughs.

"Ok. If you had answered any differently, then I would of killed you. But you've passed the test. Welcome to the Amazons." She smiles. She offers her hand to shake mine, and I tentatively shake it. Electra grabs my hand with a iron grip and forces it onto the table. I squirm, trying to loosen her grip.

"Don't worry Lynx-this is just a small reminder. Your one of us now." Electra says. Somebody gags me from behind. A woman approaches me with the same knife I stole from the kitchen earlier. I swallow, the best I can with a gag in my mouth. This is not going to be fun.

It was quick, but certainly not painless. Minutes later I'm given a cloth to soak up the beads of blood on my right forearm that remain after they stitched up my wound. The gag is removed from my mouth. I look at the new symbol that marks my skin. A snake wrapped around the letter 'A'. It's going to scar forever.

"Go to the kitchen when the bell rings." Electra told me. I nod, and stumble out of the hut. I look again at my new tattoo. I'm a Amazon now.