Chapter 22

I wake up in a dark room. I feel awful. The pain isn't just in my arm-my head hurts like crazy.
I groan once, and instantly the room comes alive. I didn't even notice the people in here with me. I wince as the somebody flicks a switch and light bursts into existence.
"Hey-nice to see you awake again." Derrin whispers. I lean back against the pillows, as I weakly smile.
"How long was I out?" I murmur.
"Three days. We thought you were going to die!" Laura whimpers.
Three days? Three whole days? What has happened with my country? Did the Amazon's break their word and invade?
Questions tumble around in my brain. I try to sit up, and instantly my vision goes fuzzy. Gentle hands guide me back down until I'm leaning heavily against my pillows. I blink a couple times until I can see clearly again.
"Relax. It's all fine. Faiyria is safe." Mufar mutters. I close my eyes in relief.
Thank goodness. My dangerous gamble paid off.
"If you weren't so weak, I would slap you. Why would you do that? All alone too? You can't do that again. Faiyria needs you." Mufar lectures me. I look up and smile.
"Save your breath Mufar-we both know I wasn't listening to a word you just said." I murmur. Everybody laughs. Even Mufar manages to crack a smile. I quietly laugh, which quickly turns into a small shriek of pain as my shoulder flares up again. The laughter stops immediately and everybody looks guilty.
"Relax!" I mumble. Kaone smiles.
"I guess you're on the mend then." She laughs.
I smile.
"Heck yeah." I murmur before falling back into the dark abyss of sleep.

When I wake up again, sun is streaming through the window. It's gorgeous. My head doesn't hurt as much, so I decide to try to get up. I manage to sit up and swing my legs over the edge of the bed. I take a deep breath, adjust my makeshift sling, and plant my feet on the floor. I push myself off of the bed, and stumble the short distance to the window.
When I reach the window sill, I gratefully sit down. My legs feel like jelly, and my head is beginning to pound painfully against my skull once again. Obviously this wasn't a good idea. But then again, I've done several stupid things in my life. I'm practically the queen of bad ideas.
I look out of the window at the city below me. People bustle around unaware that if things hadn't worked out they way they did, they would of most likely been dead.
I look down at my bandaged shoulder and smile. Going through what I just went through sucked. Don't get me wrong-if there was any other way I would of taken it. I almost died several times. I'm never going to be the same.
But when I see the people below me, see the children dancing in the square, or the older people singing and laughing, it makes sense. I understand why I did what I did. To see people still alive because of me-it's the best feeling in the world.
It was all worth it. The pain, the suffering, the sheer terror-it was worth it.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat
There's a old saying my father used to say whenever I would do something stupid (like right now).
"Live life as if your going to die tomorrow."
If I dropped dead tomorrow, I'd be happy with the way I lived my life. I did my best. I never backed down.
I gave my life away so my people can be free.
And if I had a choice to go back, do something different, I wouldn't.
This is my life, my country, my home.
Carpe Diem. Seize the day.

Heyyyyy Guys.
I haven't updated in a while. I apologize. Seriously-sorry!
Thank you for being patient and awesome and stuff-you guys are seriously the best. You guys don't even know how much your support means to me. I really appreciate it. Anyways, I'm going to be starting on the last book of this series pretty soon. It's going to be called the Battle for the Throne. And I was thinking it would be pretty cool if you guys decided on a cover-because if it wasn't for you guys these books wouldn't be anything. So I guess I'm announcing a cover contest, ya know-if you want to. I'll post more details later. As always, thanks for reading!