(3)

We were friends.

Or that's what I presumed. He would occasionally visit my poor cave-like habitat and take me out, We would roam the streets together. Even though he wasn't rich enough to study there was something worldly about him. Talking to him I felt sort of enlightened. Though at times, he petrified me.

"What's the gun for?"

"To murder of course."

I glared at his cool uptake. He was talking as if it was a small thing not an illegal, un-divine deed.

"Why would you take a life?" I inquired with my arms folded.

"Haven't they already taken ours?"

"It isn't right to stoop down to their level."

"It isn't right not to answer them in a way they wouldn't understand. They throw a brick at you, you chuck it right back. That's how people understand Pip."

For some absurd reason he had started calling me Pip. I kind of liked the tone of it.

"Now, don't dare act girly Pip."

I rolled my eyes at him. He nodded and moved suddenly out, surprising the millionaire. Quickly, taking the gold watch and his wallet while aiming the gun at his head, he took hold of my arm and we made a run for it.

Back at our shackles-

"What if you would have ended up in jail for murder. What would have I done?" I whimpered. It was true. He had become an addiction.

He glanced at me, throwing me a loopsided smile. He turned his grey beret to the side and folded the sleeves of his brown, hole-y leather jacket. I blushed and glanced down at his toes peeking out from the weathered formal shoes he wore. I watched as they got closer but did't have the guts to gaze into the smoldering eyes.

He smelled of sweat and garbage. I was used to it. I smelled like a rotten cabbage. Consciously, I stepped back until the back of the wall hit my spine.

He trailed the barrel of his gun from my neck line, up through my throat and towards my chin, jerking it upwards so that I was suddenly looking into two twinkling orbs.

He ran the cold metal on my lips and then suddenly placing it on my temple he shot.

A bang rang out loud as my world collapsed in darkness.