Better Place

Kane's POV
It's been close to two weeks since I went to Emery Creek with Sawyer. We'd gone back again a few days later, hiking a different path. Sawyer and I would text frequently, but things have been quiet for nearly a week now an' I was starting to worry. I was in the home gym lifting weights when my phone went off. I was disappointed when it wasn't her. It was Mama askin' me to go pick up a part for the washing machine because it broke last night.

I got cleaned up and hopped in my truck, taking off. I pulled the bill of my hat down over my eyes as I paid for the part, not wanting to get noticed. As I was on the way back to the house, I had to stop for a red light. Before I realized what I was doing, I took a right turn.  As I got closer to her house, I could see two people out on the porch and could hear yelling. It was probably nothing. She can handle herself. I slammed on my brakes as I saw Sawyer get shoved down the porch stairs in my rear view mirror.

I threw my truck into reverse and pulled into her driveway. I jumped out and ran to her as the guy on the porch threw an empty glass bottle at her. Luckily it missed but shattered next to her on the gravel. I wrapped an arm around her, trying to get her up. She looked terrible. She had a red handprint clear on her face and a goose-egg just above her eye. She was trembling and tears pooled in her beautiful green eyes as she looked at me.

"Kane?! What are you doing here?!" Sawyer yelled
"Who's this?! A little boyfriend!" The man yelled
"You need to leave! Please!" Sawyer pushed me
"What..? But.. you're..." I was confused
"Please, Kane! You need to leave. Now! Please! Go!" Sawyer was crying now
"You heard her! Leave! This doesn't concern you!" The man slurred
"It does concern me when you're hurting her!" I said
"Who the hell do you think you are?! Get off my property!" The man yelled
"Kane..." Sawyer whimpered through tears
"You're coming with me." I said

I pulled her up to her feet and helped her up into the truck as the man stumbled down the porch stairs and towards us. He was waving another glass bottle as he continued his drunken yelling. I could hear Sawyer yelling at me to get in the truck as he got closer. I swung myself up and threw it into reverse as he chucked the bottle, shattering both it and my headlight. He fell onto the ground as my tires kicked up gravel at him. And we were gone.

We drove quietly. Sawyer stared out the window, holding her cheek carefully, until we got to my place. I turned off the car and went around, opening her door. She climbed down and we walked inside. Mama had left a note in the kitchen that she was gonna be gone until later tonight. I walked back into the entry way to see Sawyer standing there, staring at the floor.

"Uh... hey..." I stupid said
"Don't... I don't want to talk about it... is there somewhere I can take a bath? I stink like beer." She whispered and scrunched her nose
"Yeah. You can use my room. Third door to the right. Wear anything you want." I said

She nodded and climbed the stairs slowly. I grabbed the washing machine part and set to work. Anything was better than thinking about what I'd just witnessed.

-- Sawyer's POV --
I trudged down the hall, each step bringing me closer to tears. I got to Kane's room and didn't even bother to stop and admire it. I went straight to his bathroom and pulled off my clothes. I sunk to my nose in a hot bubble bath, pulling my knees up to my chest. I could hear Kane tinkering around downstairs with something.

Kane.... my tears fell. What would he think of me now? He only brought me here to take pity on me. Now that he saw my dad, he'd expect an explanation. Dad didn't usually get drunk. He had a bad day. That's not how I wanted the guy I liked to meet my dad. There was a soft knock on the door that made me jump.

"Sawyer? I... uh... fixed the washing machine so I can wash your clothes." Kane said
"Oh... umm... ok... they're by the door..." I said

Kane opened the door a little more and covered his eyes with one hand as the other felt around for my clothes. I laughed softly at him. He grabbed them and said to let him know if I needed anything else. He was just closing the door as the words slipped out of my mouth without me thinking. I covered my mouth, blushing at my stupidity. The silence drew on and I thought he'd left. To my shock, he opened the door and came inside, closing it behind him.

-- Kane's POV --
"Let me know if you need anything else." I said
"Can you come in here...?" Sawyer asked

I froze. Did I hear her right? She was quiet too. Am I really thinking about doing this? Again, I moved before I realized what I was doing. Realization hit me as I heard the door click shut and I found myself looking down at the bathroom tile. I felt my chest tighten. Breathe, Kane. Don't panic!

The bathtub was full of bubbles and Sawyer was looking at them. I crouched down next to the tub as her green eyes came up to look at mine. I took her hand, resting on the side of the tub, in mine and laced our fingers together.

"About what happened..." Sawyer said
"We can talk about that later." I said

I kissed her head and she closed her eyes as a small smile came across her face. I softly started singing Better Place and watched as she relaxed, sinking to her nose in the bubbles. I didn't know what she's been through, but I know I wanna give her a better place and a better life.