Mama

Kane's POV

Stretching and yawning, I looked around. I pushed the blanket off of me and grabbed my phone. 8:30am. Too early. I laid back down, covering my eyes with my arm to block out the sun peaking through the window.

I had just gotten settled in when a jolt went through me, sending me upright. Sawyer! Where was she?! I stumbled out of bed and ran down the hall, checking every bedroom. She wasn't in any of them! I heard Mama talking to someone downstairs, and I heard Sawyer's voice. Breathing a sigh of relief, I crept part of the way down the stairs and sat, listening to them.

-- Sawyer's POV --

I'd woken up to the smell of coffee. I carefully climbed off of Kane's bed, hoping not to wake him. He needed the rest. Came down into the kitchen where his mother was lightly blowing the steam off a cup of coffee. She gave me a once-over with a look of surprise. I guess I should've changed. It was probably uncomfortable for her seeing a girl she barely knew in her kitchen wearing her son's shirt that fit more like a dress.

With an almost apologetic smile, I took a seat at the island. She poured me a cup of coffee and smiled as she sipped her own.

"How did you sleep?" She asked

"Fine. Thank you" I responded

"I don't suppose you'd want to tell me how all of this happened?" She motioned at my outfit

"Kane didn't tell you?" I asked

"No. I told him we'd sort things out in the morning." She said

"I'm sorry. I'm going to personally pay to replace Kane's headlight, and I'll run upstairs right now and get my things and leave - " I apologized

"Slow down! Start by telling me what happened." She put her mug down.

I put my cup down and began telling her about my father having gotten drunk. I explained to her that he wasn't normally like that. That he'd just had too much to drink last night and that he could be a good man. That he has been trying his best to support his family by himself. She quietly listened as I told her everything. About my father and I arguing last night. About how things had gotten physical. How Kane showed up and how his headlight got broken.

She put a hand over mine as I realized that they'd been shaking. Just the caffeine, I tried to convince myself.

-- Kane's POV --

I felt an ache in my chest. Sawyer's voice had grown shake-y and weaker as she talked to my mother. This didn't seem like the Sawyer I knew. The one who teased me and called me out for needing sleep.

"I'll pay for Kane to get his headlight fixed." Sawyer rushed

No. I can handle it. I don't want her paying for it.

"No, it's alright. Kane can handle it himself." Mom said

Good...

"Alright... As soon as he's up, I'll have him take me home." Sawyer said

NO! Stay! It's not safe there.

"You don't have to leave right away. I'd rather you stay a while. Let your father calm down and collect himself." Mama said

She's right, so stay!

"You mean let him sober up." Sawyer said quietly, "I'll be alright. I don't wanna overstay my welcome or stop you from your normal routine."

"You wouldn't. I'm sure Kane would love the company. All he does anymore is isolate himself in that sun room all day and night. The only time he's out is when he's with you." Mama said

Thanks. That's just what I wanted her to hear. Now she'll think I'm boring or some creep.

"I dunno..." Sawyer hesitated, "I really don't know what to do..."

"Stay!" I blurted out

Damn it. Now you've done it.

I froze, realizing I'd practically yelled. I heard foot steps and saw Mama and Sawyer come around to the bottom of the stairs. Sawyer looked surprised, caught off guard. Her red hair was messy as it fell over her shoulders and down her back. She stood there in my too-big-for-her batman t-shirt, looking absolutely adorable. Mama gave me a pointed look an' I knew I was in for a lecture about listening in on people. I felt a nervous laugh escape my chest as I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Mornin'..." I offered in a nervous chuckle