Change of Pace

*Sawyer's POV*

A sharp ringing resounded through the house. I groaned as I buried my face further into my pillow, hoping the sound would stop. Feeling exhausted, I flung my arm out of bed and blindly searched for my phone. I forced my eyes to open as the ringing sounded again. Not my phone. I laid it back down and sighed, pushing myself up onto my elbows. Kane still lay there fast asleep, hogging all the covers.

Maybe it's Kane's phone. I looked over on the side table on his side of the bed, but didn't see a phone in sight. Confused, I pushed the covers off more and leaned over Kane to peer over the side of the bed. Maybe it fell off the night stand? But there was nothing there. He wouldn't drive all night to Georgia without his phone, would he?

The ringing continued until I heard a click, and Kane's mother answered the phone. Home phone then. I was about to settle back into bed, but the blood drained from my face as Kane's mother's conversation hit me full force.

"Hello. This is Tabatha Brown.... oh, Hello.... Well I won't lie, they're both here, but don't you even think about rushing over here. They're exhausted from everything you've put them through.... yes, Sawyer is here too... well she is welcome here seeing as she's my son's girlfriend and you'll just have to accept that yourselves." his mother hung up.

This can't end well...

Kane's hand reached up and was rubbing my back. I turned to look at him, seeing him sitting up right behind me. I could still see the sleep in his heavy eyes. I knew the worry was written all over my face when he leaned forward and placed a kiss on my shoulder. He pulled back and rested his head against my shoulder as he continued to rub my back, trying to calm and soothe me. His mother peeked into the room before coming in and sitting down on the edge of the bed. Kane didn't bother picking his head up or stopping.

"I just got off the phone with your management team. They asked if you were here, and I told them that you, both of you, are." Kane's mother said

"I figured that's who it was." Kane yawned, "What'd they say?"

"They'll be on their way over soon." she said, "Are either of you hungry?"

"I bet they aren't happy that I'm here..." I said, looking down and fiddling with the comforter.

*Kane's POV*

I could hear the soft whimper in Sawyer's voice when she spoke. She sounded so close to tears. I snaked an arm around her waist and nuzzled my face into her neck. I planted a little kiss right under her ear, at the base of her jaw, and continued rubbing her back with my free hand. Mama reached out and placed a hand over Sawyer's.

"I say you're welcome here, and this is my house." Mama smiled

"Thank you" Sawyer laughed slightly, but I could hear the tears welling up.

"And in my house we have breakfast before dealing with anything else. What sounds good? Eggs? toast? sausage?" Mama asked

"I'm not very hungry..." Sawyer whispered and I looked up.

"Mom, why don't you go make what sounds good to you an we'll out in a few minutes." I offered

Mama nodded, knowing what I meant, and left the room to make breakfast. Sawyer kept her head down, so I pressed a kiss to her cheek before moving her hair to the side and peppering kisses across the back of her neck.

"It's not your fault, you know?" I said

"But it is!" Sawyer sniffled, "You're gonna lose your label because of me. If you hadn't run out of your show then this wouldn't be happening!"

"If I hadn't left that show, I'd still be touring and not sleeping. An I'd be right back where I started." I said, "An I'm not gonna lose my label. You heard Mama, they're probably comin over here to yell at me an drag me back on tour."

"You don't know that. This is the second time you've run out, Kane. This isn't good. And who's to say it won't happen again?" Sawyer turned.

She looked me straight in the eyes an I felt a familiar ache in my chest. It was the same ache from when I hadn't defended her before when my management team attacked her. She was trying so hard to hold it together as tear welled up in her eyes and her nose was tinged red. We still hadn't talked about that.

"I'm not going back on tour without you." I decided.

"You know they won't allow that." Sawyer rolled her eyes.

"They'll have to. Either you come or I don't tour an what I say goes." I said.

"Kane, you're not one for a diva moment. They'll ship me back home and drag you on tour so they can make money. They'll want you to date someone famous, not me." Sawyer said.

"I never make demands and I don't cause them problems." Besides running out on your fans twice, I thought.

"Kane..." Sawyer was cut off by a pounding on the front door.

Both our heads whipped towards the hall, and everything was quiet. Mama answered the door and was saying something about the person rudely barging in. There was more than one set of footsteps coming down the hall. Sawyer shrunk back as they got closer. The door to the hall bathroom opened and was slammed closed. The same happened to the hall closet and Mama's bedroom. They got down to the guest room, where the door was wide open and we had a clear view of the hall.

My management team and two security members stood in the doorway, but my manager's eyes weren't on me. I followed their line of sight and found it to be on Sawyer, anger held in their eyes. This is NOT happening again. I saw red as I wrapped my arms around Sawyer's waist firmly and pulled her back against me more, making my message very clear. My manager's gaze faltered for a moment when their eyes connected with mine, even security took a step back. I was not backing down.